Kinect-based System Being Used to Monitor North, South Korea Border
By Aditya Bhat | February 4, 2014 6:06 PM EST
Microsoft's Kinect device is not only used in games but also to maintain security. A recent report has suggested that a security system was built on Kinect software and used to monitor the demilitarized zone between the North and South Korea, reported Hankooki (via Kotaku).
Kinect-based security system in place on Korean border.
This was revealed by Jae Kwan Ko, a self-taught programmer, who is the developer of the security system. The system had reportedly been in place doing national security work since August 2013 but was recently brought to the notice of the general public.
Though much details of the system and its working are not available, since it is a South Korean national security issue, but we do know that the software effectively makes use of Kinect's motion sensing system, which tracks and identifies anything that passes on the demilitarized zones. The software can apparently distinguish between people and animals and if it senses humans, it directly alerts the closest outpost.
"I've never even thought of a game system performing national defense tasks," said programmer Ko. He also sounded positive that the next iteration will have heat signatures and sensitive body tracking system, which can also determine the facial expressions of people.
However, the Xbox One and Kinect have not yet been released in Korea and are expected to arrive in late 2014.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar