Kinect-based System Being Used to Monitor North, South Korea Border
By Aditya Bhat | February 4, 2014 6:06 PM EST
Microsoft's Kinect device is not only used in games but also to maintain security. A recent report has suggested that a security system was built on Kinect software and used to monitor the demilitarized zone between the North and South Korea, reported Hankooki (via Kotaku).
Kinect-based security system in place on Korean border.
This was revealed by Jae Kwan Ko, a self-taught programmer, who is the developer of the security system. The system had reportedly been in place doing national security work since August 2013 but was recently brought to the notice of the general public.
Though much details of the system and its working are not available, since it is a South Korean national security issue, but we do know that the software effectively makes use of Kinect's motion sensing system, which tracks and identifies anything that passes on the demilitarized zones. The software can apparently distinguish between people and animals and if it senses humans, it directly alerts the closest outpost.
"I've never even thought of a game system performing national defense tasks," said programmer Ko. He also sounded positive that the next iteration will have heat signatures and sensitive body tracking system, which can also determine the facial expressions of people.
However, the Xbox One and Kinect have not yet been released in Korea and are expected to arrive in late 2014.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers