Maternal Cold in Pregnancy might Make Children Prone to Asthma, Allergy
By Roshni Mahesh | February 4, 2014 5:32 PM EST
Mother suffering from common cold during pregnancy can increase the risk of allergy and asthma in children, a new study says.
Getting a common cold during pregnancy can increase the risk of allergy and asthma in children, a new study says.
This occurrence was mainly because maternal exposure to various types of bacteria and viruses after conceiving disturbed the in utero environment needed for the healthy growth of a baby. Apart from that, children growing in such an altered uterus environment, when being exposed to allergens like house dust and pet dander during the early stages of growth had higher risk of developing allergy by age five.
For the study, researchers looked at 513 German women and their 526 children. Participants filled questionnaires at different stages, starting with their pregnancy until their child turned five. Nearly 61 percent of the children had a family history of asthma, hay fever or atopic dermatitis. Still the researchers found a direct link between maternal exposure to infections in pregnancy and asthma risk in babies.
"We know that allergy and asthma can develop in the womb since genetics play a factor in both diseases," allergist Michael Foggs, MD, American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI ) president, said in a news release. "But this study sheds light about how a mother's environment during pregnancy can begin affecting the child before birth."
According to health experts, catching a cold or flu is very common in early pregnancy as activity of the immune system is lowered during that time, to help avoid the baby being rejected by the body.
Following are some methods that help avoid risk of getting any infections in pregnancy, provided by Cleveland Clinic in US:
- Follow a healthy diet, particularly fruits and vegetables rich with vitamin C
- Take appropriate rest
- Quit smoking as it can weaken the immune system
- Remain happy by completely avoiding exposure to stress
- Start taking a vitamin or mineral supplement after consulting a doctor
Some safe methods to cure Cold and cough in pregnancy:
- Gargle with salt water
- Use saline nose spray, vapour rubs or cough lozenges
- Use drug Tylenol to get relief from pain and fever
- Completely avoid taking Aspirin, Motrin(ibuprofen)
- Increase fluid intake
- Steam inhalation is effective to treat cold
- A drink made by mixing honey and lemon to hot water can help get relief from sore throat
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date