Google Nexus 6 Manufactured by Lenovo-Motorola Not LG?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 4, 2014 5:30 PM EST
LG Electronics may no longer be working on the successor of Google Nexus 5 as latest merger hinted that Lenovo-Motorola will be taking the helm for Nexus 6.
Nexus 6 concept image
Right after tech industry analyst Eldar Murtazin said that Google will drop the Nexus line in 2015 to focus on Google Play Editions of Android smartphones, rumours that Lenovo Nexus 6 surfaced.
At first, it was hard to believe Murtazin's claim that Google will drop the famous Nexus line. However, after news that Google sold off Motorola to Lenovo for $2.9 billion, it is a clear indication that Google has no intention to make its own devices. Once the acquisition is completed, Lenovo will be the third-largest smartphone vendor.
"The acquisition of such an iconic brand, innovative product portfolio and incredibly talented global team will immediately make Lenovo a strong global competitor in smartphones. We will immediately have the opportunity to become a strong global player in the fast-growing mobile space," said Yang Yuanqing, chairman and CEO of Lenovo in a statement.
Another way to look at the situation is thinking that Samsung will move forward with Tizen OS and will abandon Google's Android. Samsung played a very important in making Android OS popular after it released a number of successful smartphones. Samsung is a company that Google does not want to lose since it has gained a dominant place in the market.
According to iDigitalTimes, if Lenovo will be in charged in manufacturing the Nexus 6 smartphone, Lenovo might allow Motorola to take the lead in producing the Nexus 6. If Motorola will make the Nexus 6, consumers may see a smartphone similar to Moto X.
Lenovo can also solely take the helm and make the device. If that will be the case, we may see something similar to the current Lenovo flagship, the K900. Lenovo K900 sports a thin design and packs a 5.5-inch full HD 1080 screen display. The smartphone also has 13 MP camera at the back.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists