Chinese New Year: 'Welcome to the Year of the Whores,' Says BBC News
By Keerthi Mohan | February 4, 2014 5:25 PM EST
In a subtitling error, BBC News marked the beginning of the Chinese New Year on Friday as "the year of the whores" instead of horse, which is considered an auspicious time for business.
The mistake was spotted around 7 p.m. local time on Friday when Rajesh Mirchandani, who was presenting the bulletin, declared: “Welcome to the year of the whores. People around the globe celebrate.”
Screenshot of BBC's subtitling error.
“Happy Chinese New Year, according to BBC Subtitles it should be an interesting one!” noted one, while another added, “So it’s Chinese New Year, but the BBC subtitles got a bit confused about the year.”
As a number of Twitter users noted, this is not the first time BBC, said to be the only news channel that subtitles all its programs, has made prominient mistakes.
Previous errors included calling Ed Miliband as "Ed Miller Band," and referring to the Church of England leader as the "arch bitch of Canterbury."
During the Queen Mother’s funeral in 2002, call for a moment of silence was subtitled as “we will now have a moment’s violence.”
Acknowledging that the news channel has become the butt of jokes owing to its many mistakes, a BBC spokesman said in 2011 that the channel is striving to improve accuracy.
“We recognise that subtitling it a hugely important service, and we endeavour to ensure it is as accurate as possible,” Mail Online quoted the spokesperson as saying.
“There are occasions, particularly during live broadcasts, when mistakes will happen but we do all we can to keep this to a minimum and are constantly striving to improve accuracy."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation