Rajinikanth’s ‘Kochadaiiyaan’ to Release on 11 April; Set to Clash with Amitabh Bachchan’s ‘Bhootnath 2’
By Ankita Mehta | February 4, 2014 5:16 PM EST
The release date of Rajinikanth's much awaited film "Kochadaiiyaan" (aka "Kochadaiyaan") has finally been confirmed. Rajinikanth's magnum opus film will now hit screens on 11 April worldwide.
Rajinikanth in "Kochadaiiyaan" (Credit: Soundarya Ashwin/Twitter)
The film is set for massive release on 6000 screens worldwide, which is reportedly the highest ever recorded.
Directed by Soundarya Rajini, the film will release in around seven languages in India, including Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Marathi, Bhojpuri, Bengali and Punjabi. Additionally, the film will have an English version for overseas audiences.
"Eros is proud to present this magnum opus with Rajinikanth, which will take the Indian film industry to the next level. We are confident that this will be a landmark film in world cinema as a result of the ground breaking technology used. The film will be released in Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Marathi, Bhojpuri, Bengali and Punjabi in India and overseas in more than 6,000 screens. We will be releasing an English version internationally as well," Sunil Lulla, Managing Director, Eros International Media Ltd said in a press release.
Initially the film was set for Pongal release and was expected to clash with Ajith's "Veeram" and Vijay's "Jilla". However, the film will hit screens during Tamil New Year's Day in April.
This April, the box office will witness a clash of two films starring two superstars -Big B and Rajinikanth. Apparently, Bollywood film "Bhootnath 2" starring Amitabh Bachchan is also releasing on the same day.
This is for the second time the two legends will clash at the box office. In 2007, Amitabh's "Jhoom Barabar Jhoom" and Rajinikanth's "Shivaji The Boss" were released on the same day.
While "Jhoom Barabar Jhoom" bombed at the collection centers, "Shivaji" was a massive hit. However, it remains to be seen who will win the box office this year.
"Kochadaiiyaan" production cost is more than 100 crore and is touted to be one of the costliest Tamil films ever. Rajinikanth will be seen playing double role in the film, while Deepika Padukone will be the leading lady.
It also features R. Sharath Kumar, Nazar, Aadi and Shobana among others.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal