Made for China? Research Says H7N9 Flu Virus Confined Only to Chinese
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 4, 2014 4:59 PM EST
Because of a susceptibility gene, emerging and getting rampant H7N9 flu virus may only infect residents of China.
A report published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases by Dr David Hui of the Chinese University of Hong Kong said H7N9 flu virus spreads easily and more among the Chinese because of the IFITM3 gene (interferon-induced transmembrane protein-3 gene).
Health officials in protective suits put a goose into a sack as part of preventive measures against the H7N9 bird flu at a poultry market in Zhuji, Zhejiang province January 5, 2014. The local government ordered all live poultry be killed at two markets in Zhuji after a 34-year-old woman was confirmed to be infected with the H7N9 virus on Saturday, local media reported. Picture taken January 5, 2014.
The IFITM3 gene is the one that increases influenza disease severity. It is more predominant among the Chinese people. Caucasians hardly have them, Mr Hui said.
This seemed to confirm an earlier study that said one factor the Chinese are susceptible to the H7N9 flu virus was because they have lower levels of an immune protective mechanism known as CD8+ T lymphocyte (CTL) immunity.
Dr Hui said that 70 per cent of Chinese patients who had experienced severe influenza infection had the IFITM3 susceptibility gene, which could explain the emergence or presence of infection clusters among family members.
"Because the risk genotype occurs with such a high frequency [in Chinese people], its effect translates to a large population-attributable risk of 54.3% for severe infection in the Chinese population studied compared with 5.4% in Northern Europeans," Dr Hui said.
On Tuesday, China reported two new deaths due to the H7N9 flu virus. The death tally has now reached a total of 25 since January, while the number of human infections has reached 113 cases. Zhejiang and Guangdong were the areas most affected.
The new H7N9 virus emerged only last spring.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Regular Sexual Intercourse Can Ward Off Erection Problems, Say Researchers
- Alien Base Found on Moon: UFO Enthusiasts Celebrate [Watch Video]
- Alien Mystery Solved: NASA Reveals the Truth About the Strange Figure Recorded on the Moon (Watch Video)
- Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
- Climate Change Has Given Birth to New Hybrid Species: Transformation Before Man's Eyes
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff