Rupee Falls; Emerging Markets under Pressure
February 4, 2014 4:07 PM EST
The rupee is trading at 62.72, down from Monday's close of 62.56/57, after hitting as low as 62.83 earlier.
Emerging markets are under pressure after data showing U.S. manufacturing activity slowed sharply raises risk aversion. The dollar index up 0.15 percent against a basket of six major currencies.
An employee arranges Indian currency notes at a cash counter inside a bank in Agartala, capital of India's northeastern state of Tripura
"Probable RBI intervention and exporter selling may come above 63. Already some people are looking to sell above 62.80 levels," said Subramanian Sharma, director at Greenback Forex.
The BSE Sensex falls 1 percent, hitting its lowest intraday level since October 9
Foreign investors sold Indian shares worth a net $117.40 million on Monday, provisional exchange data shows, after selling a net $523 million in the previous six sessions.
Overseas funds sold a net $33.75 million in debt on Monday, the data showed.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers