Rupee Falls; Emerging Markets under Pressure
February 4, 2014 4:07 PM EST
The rupee is trading at 62.72, down from Monday's close of 62.56/57, after hitting as low as 62.83 earlier.
Emerging markets are under pressure after data showing U.S. manufacturing activity slowed sharply raises risk aversion. The dollar index up 0.15 percent against a basket of six major currencies.
An employee arranges Indian currency notes at a cash counter inside a bank in Agartala, capital of India's northeastern state of Tripura
"Probable RBI intervention and exporter selling may come above 63. Already some people are looking to sell above 62.80 levels," said Subramanian Sharma, director at Greenback Forex.
The BSE Sensex falls 1 percent, hitting its lowest intraday level since October 9
Foreign investors sold Indian shares worth a net $117.40 million on Monday, provisional exchange data shows, after selling a net $523 million in the previous six sessions.
Overseas funds sold a net $33.75 million in debt on Monday, the data showed.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff