Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 2/4/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 4, 2014 3:29 PM EST
The Australian share market has followed Wall Street's downbeat lead and is lower by 1.3 per cent at lunchtime in the East.
An office worker is reflected in the window of the Australian Securities Exchange building displaying the ASX50 curve for Wednesday in central Sydney August 7, 2013.
The US Dow Jones Index fell 326 points in overnight trade as investors elected to dump equities following weak manufacturing data and on continued worries about the fragile economies such as Brazil and India.
At lunchtime in the East on our market, every sector is in the red although there is some support for gold stocks like Newcrest Mining (NCM) as the gold price rallied on safe haven buying.
In company news, engineering firm Downer EDI (DOW) is down 1.7 per cent to $4.78 after announcing a 5.4 per cent lift in first half profit to $99.1 million. DOW will pay shareholders an 11 cent per share interim dividend.
REA Group (REA) which runs realestate.com.au has beaten expectations with its first half result. First half profit rose 37 per cent to $70.7 million and the interim dividend was declared at 22 cents per share. REA is up 3.8 per cent to $43.30.
Country Road (CTY), a stock which rarely moves, is up 34.6 per cent today to $6.50 a day after reporting its first half results. The last time CTY traded was in mid-January with almost 90 per cent of the stock held by just one company.
The Reserve Bank of Australia holds its first policy meeting of 2014 this year and is expected to leave the official cash rate on hold at 2.5 per cent.
Ahead of the policy decision, the Australian dollar is buying US87.37c.
So far on the market, a total of 1.1 billion shares have changed hands, with an estimated value of $2.5 billion. 223 are up, 630 are down and 277 are unchanged.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]