Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 2/4/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 4, 2014 3:29 PM EST
The Australian share market has followed Wall Street's downbeat lead and is lower by 1.3 per cent at lunchtime in the East.
An office worker is reflected in the window of the Australian Securities Exchange building displaying the ASX50 curve for Wednesday in central Sydney August 7, 2013.
The US Dow Jones Index fell 326 points in overnight trade as investors elected to dump equities following weak manufacturing data and on continued worries about the fragile economies such as Brazil and India.
At lunchtime in the East on our market, every sector is in the red although there is some support for gold stocks like Newcrest Mining (NCM) as the gold price rallied on safe haven buying.
In company news, engineering firm Downer EDI (DOW) is down 1.7 per cent to $4.78 after announcing a 5.4 per cent lift in first half profit to $99.1 million. DOW will pay shareholders an 11 cent per share interim dividend.
REA Group (REA) which runs realestate.com.au has beaten expectations with its first half result. First half profit rose 37 per cent to $70.7 million and the interim dividend was declared at 22 cents per share. REA is up 3.8 per cent to $43.30.
Country Road (CTY), a stock which rarely moves, is up 34.6 per cent today to $6.50 a day after reporting its first half results. The last time CTY traded was in mid-January with almost 90 per cent of the stock held by just one company.
The Reserve Bank of Australia holds its first policy meeting of 2014 this year and is expected to leave the official cash rate on hold at 2.5 per cent.
Ahead of the policy decision, the Australian dollar is buying US87.37c.
So far on the market, a total of 1.1 billion shares have changed hands, with an estimated value of $2.5 billion. 223 are up, 630 are down and 277 are unchanged.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists
- Singapore Top Court Maintains Law Criminalising Gay Sex
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy