Australian Dollar Outlook - February 4, 2014
By Christine Gaylican | February 4, 2014 12:34 PM EST
The AUD rides on a wild spin before the RBA decides on key rates today
Australia: After trading within familiar ranges yesterday, the AUD briefly broke back above USD0.8800, reaching USD0.8834. The AUD spiked
following weaker than expected US manufacturing data.
The Institute for Supply Management's purchasing manager's index showed US manufacturing sector growth slowed sharply, dropping to 51.3 from 56.5 in January.
However the AUD's rally was brief and the local currency settled back below USD0.8800 ahead of today's RBA meeting. While today will be key for the AUD, it is widely expected to leave the cash rate on hold at 2.5%.
Majors: It was a mixed night for currency markets overnight, while equity markets didn't perform well at all. The main catalysts for the mood was the
surprisingly weak US manufacturing data as mentioned above.
The fact that the recent severe weather looked to have an impact on the number didn't help ease the market's reaction with the Dow down -3.3pts to 15,396. European equities also retreated at the end of their session, despite better than expected European ISM readings released earlier.
The EUR did however benefit off the back of the better than expected manufacturing data throughout he Euro-zone, while the GBP failed to gain
momentum, despite a solid ISM reading released in the UK. There is not much in the way of key data releases offshore today.
04 FEB AU RBA Cash Rate Target
US ISM New York
NZ ANZ Commodity Price
For latest pricing, ranges, visit www.bellpotter.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff