Is Bruno Mars's Super Bowl Half-Time Show Really Better Than Beyonce's?
By Jesselle Maminta | February 4, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Exactly a year ago, Beyonce put on a show during the Super Bowl XLVII's half-time performance and proved to thousands of American viewers (and millions more worldwide) that she's the Show Queen.
True enough, almost everyone thought that Queen Bey's spectacle was THE half-time show, and no one will surpass it. Ever. And that is why prior to this year's half-time show, Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were met with pretty low expectations.
Many entertainment critics say that besides Bruno being a relatively lower star than Beyonce or nearly every artist who performed before her (or them), how in the world does he put on a show in such a way that it creates buzz like the other artists did in the past (remember the Nipplegate incident)?
But that did not stop Bruno and the RHCP from performing like it's their last show in the world. Bruno had his James Brown-like hair, shiny suit, dancing (that split!) and old-school-meets-modern-RnB vibe to his performance. The Red Hot Chili Peppers energized the crowd with their song "Give It Away." Band vocalist Anthony Kiedis showed off his awe-inspiring shirtless body at age 51 (!).
So does it stand up against Beyonce's spectacle last year?
If Buzzfeed is to be asked, "Oh, ha, no. Of course not!" But then, they dedicated an entire article on the 33 things that made Queen Bey's performance "The Only Super Bowl Halftime That Matters." Which most of its readers disagree on, with the said article gaining an overall "Fail" mark and one of the readers saying that "Beyonce is overrated."
As for the rest of the observers, they were pretty impressed, considering their low expectations for the performance. Most of them, including Variety and NY Daily News, agree that Bruno's performance was good despite lacking Beyonce's flashes and bells and whistles. CNN, on the other hand, says that his was "one of the most energetic halftime shows ever."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People