Is Bruno Mars's Super Bowl Half-Time Show Really Better Than Beyonce's?
By Jesselle Maminta | February 4, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Exactly a year ago, Beyonce put on a show during the Super Bowl XLVII's half-time performance and proved to thousands of American viewers (and millions more worldwide) that she's the Show Queen.
True enough, almost everyone thought that Queen Bey's spectacle was THE half-time show, and no one will surpass it. Ever. And that is why prior to this year's half-time show, Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were met with pretty low expectations.
Many entertainment critics say that besides Bruno being a relatively lower star than Beyonce or nearly every artist who performed before her (or them), how in the world does he put on a show in such a way that it creates buzz like the other artists did in the past (remember the Nipplegate incident)?
But that did not stop Bruno and the RHCP from performing like it's their last show in the world. Bruno had his James Brown-like hair, shiny suit, dancing (that split!) and old-school-meets-modern-RnB vibe to his performance. The Red Hot Chili Peppers energized the crowd with their song "Give It Away." Band vocalist Anthony Kiedis showed off his awe-inspiring shirtless body at age 51 (!).
So does it stand up against Beyonce's spectacle last year?
If Buzzfeed is to be asked, "Oh, ha, no. Of course not!" But then, they dedicated an entire article on the 33 things that made Queen Bey's performance "The Only Super Bowl Halftime That Matters." Which most of its readers disagree on, with the said article gaining an overall "Fail" mark and one of the readers saying that "Beyonce is overrated."
As for the rest of the observers, they were pretty impressed, considering their low expectations for the performance. Most of them, including Variety and NY Daily News, agree that Bruno's performance was good despite lacking Beyonce's flashes and bells and whistles. CNN, on the other hand, says that his was "one of the most energetic halftime shows ever."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories