Is Bruno Mars's Super Bowl Half-Time Show Really Better Than Beyonce's?
By Jesselle Maminta | February 4, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Exactly a year ago, Beyonce put on a show during the Super Bowl XLVII's half-time performance and proved to thousands of American viewers (and millions more worldwide) that she's the Show Queen.
True enough, almost everyone thought that Queen Bey's spectacle was THE half-time show, and no one will surpass it. Ever. And that is why prior to this year's half-time show, Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were met with pretty low expectations.
Many entertainment critics say that besides Bruno being a relatively lower star than Beyonce or nearly every artist who performed before her (or them), how in the world does he put on a show in such a way that it creates buzz like the other artists did in the past (remember the Nipplegate incident)?
But that did not stop Bruno and the RHCP from performing like it's their last show in the world. Bruno had his James Brown-like hair, shiny suit, dancing (that split!) and old-school-meets-modern-RnB vibe to his performance. The Red Hot Chili Peppers energized the crowd with their song "Give It Away." Band vocalist Anthony Kiedis showed off his awe-inspiring shirtless body at age 51 (!).
So does it stand up against Beyonce's spectacle last year?
If Buzzfeed is to be asked, "Oh, ha, no. Of course not!" But then, they dedicated an entire article on the 33 things that made Queen Bey's performance "The Only Super Bowl Halftime That Matters." Which most of its readers disagree on, with the said article gaining an overall "Fail" mark and one of the readers saying that "Beyonce is overrated."
As for the rest of the observers, they were pretty impressed, considering their low expectations for the performance. Most of them, including Variety and NY Daily News, agree that Bruno's performance was good despite lacking Beyonce's flashes and bells and whistles. CNN, on the other hand, says that his was "one of the most energetic halftime shows ever."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points