Is Bruno Mars's Super Bowl Half-Time Show Really Better Than Beyonce's?
By Jesselle Maminta | February 4, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Exactly a year ago, Beyonce put on a show during the Super Bowl XLVII's half-time performance and proved to thousands of American viewers (and millions more worldwide) that she's the Show Queen.
True enough, almost everyone thought that Queen Bey's spectacle was THE half-time show, and no one will surpass it. Ever. And that is why prior to this year's half-time show, Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were met with pretty low expectations.
Many entertainment critics say that besides Bruno being a relatively lower star than Beyonce or nearly every artist who performed before her (or them), how in the world does he put on a show in such a way that it creates buzz like the other artists did in the past (remember the Nipplegate incident)?
But that did not stop Bruno and the RHCP from performing like it's their last show in the world. Bruno had his James Brown-like hair, shiny suit, dancing (that split!) and old-school-meets-modern-RnB vibe to his performance. The Red Hot Chili Peppers energized the crowd with their song "Give It Away." Band vocalist Anthony Kiedis showed off his awe-inspiring shirtless body at age 51 (!).
So does it stand up against Beyonce's spectacle last year?
If Buzzfeed is to be asked, "Oh, ha, no. Of course not!" But then, they dedicated an entire article on the 33 things that made Queen Bey's performance "The Only Super Bowl Halftime That Matters." Which most of its readers disagree on, with the said article gaining an overall "Fail" mark and one of the readers saying that "Beyonce is overrated."
As for the rest of the observers, they were pretty impressed, considering their low expectations for the performance. Most of them, including Variety and NY Daily News, agree that Bruno's performance was good despite lacking Beyonce's flashes and bells and whistles. CNN, on the other hand, says that his was "one of the most energetic halftime shows ever."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks