ANZ at 39th Place in Most Valuable Global Bank Brand List With Value of $6.8 Billion
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 4, 2014 9:11 AM EST
In the Land Down Under, Westpac, Australia New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ), Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) and the National Bank of Australia (NAB) are collectively known as the Big 4 because they dominate the country's banking system. But side-by-side with global banks, the 4 lenders are just the Small 4.
According to The Brand Finance Banking 500 study released on Monday, the highest rank Aussie bank is ANZ on 39th place with a brand value of $6.8 billion. In contrast, the number one bank on the list, Wells Fargo in the U.S. is estimated to have a brand value of $30.2 billion. It was the same rank that ANZ held in 2013.
A brand rating is a benchmark or measure of the strength, risk and potential of a brand,
On second place is CBA which is ranked 42nd place with a brand value of $6.3 billion. CBA moved two places up.
Third place is NAB, ranked 46th, its same spot in 2013, and valued at $5 billion. Two places below at 48th is Westpac with a brand value of $4.9 billion. Westpac was recently named as the most sustainable company in the world.
The 4 Aussie lenders all boosted their brand value, but only CBA and Westpac moved up their global ranking slightly.
They are expected to report collectively for the current financial year profits higher than the previous year's $27.3 billion.
Smaller Aussie banks are noticeably improving their place in the list.
The report said that BT Financial Group grew 94 per cent to its total brand value of $713 million and leapfrogged 93 places in the global ranking, while Suncorp improved 28 per cent to $463 million and Bankwest expanded 20 per cent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Who's The Boss: Tech World's Top 10 CEO's Revealed
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar