Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay Joins Gay Pride March, Describes Attitude of Some Officers Toward Gays, Corruption as Outdated
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 4, 2014 9:01 AM EST
Participants hold a giant rainbow flag during the annual gay pride parade in Hong Kong November 9, 2013. Participants from lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities took to the street on Saturday to demonstrate for their rights. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu
Victoria Premier Denis Napthine Erases at Launch of Melbourne’s Annual Gay & Lesbian Midsumma Festival the Criminal Record of Men Convicted of Gay Sex
In a first in Melbourne's history, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay attended on Sunday the Australian state's Gay Pride March with 40,000 people. He said he showed up at the parade to express support for gays who are important part of the Victorian community.
He disclosed that the state police department has some gay members and acknowledged it is not always easy being a homosexual while employed in the police because of the 1970s or outdated point-of-view of some officers toward gays.
Mr Lay added that to worsen the situation, some members even have 1950s attitude to police corruption. He made the remarks amid problems with 17 officers who are now facing disciplinary and criminal action due to the cover-up of a drunk police officer who crashed into a Bendigo hotel in 2005.
Also present during the march was Christine Forsteer, a Sydney Liberal councillor and the lesbian sister of Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott. With her was fiancée Virginia Edwards. The march was timed with the launch of the new LGBTI-focused hopefuls for the Australian Senate under the Australian Equality Party.
Mr Lay explained that this year, 2014, is his first time to attend the Gay Pride March because in previous years he attended bush fire remembrance services.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People