Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay Joins Gay Pride March, Describes Attitude of Some Officers Toward Gays, Corruption as Outdated
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 4, 2014 9:01 AM EST
Participants hold a giant rainbow flag during the annual gay pride parade in Hong Kong November 9, 2013. Participants from lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities took to the street on Saturday to demonstrate for their rights. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu
Victoria Premier Denis Napthine Erases at Launch of Melbourne’s Annual Gay & Lesbian Midsumma Festival the Criminal Record of Men Convicted of Gay Sex
In a first in Melbourne's history, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay attended on Sunday the Australian state's Gay Pride March with 40,000 people. He said he showed up at the parade to express support for gays who are important part of the Victorian community.
He disclosed that the state police department has some gay members and acknowledged it is not always easy being a homosexual while employed in the police because of the 1970s or outdated point-of-view of some officers toward gays.
Mr Lay added that to worsen the situation, some members even have 1950s attitude to police corruption. He made the remarks amid problems with 17 officers who are now facing disciplinary and criminal action due to the cover-up of a drunk police officer who crashed into a Bendigo hotel in 2005.
Also present during the march was Christine Forsteer, a Sydney Liberal councillor and the lesbian sister of Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott. With her was fiancée Virginia Edwards. The march was timed with the launch of the new LGBTI-focused hopefuls for the Australian Senate under the Australian Equality Party.
Mr Lay explained that this year, 2014, is his first time to attend the Gay Pride March because in previous years he attended bush fire remembrance services.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories