‘MasterChef New Zealand’ Eliminates First Couple
By Anne Lu | February 4, 2014 7:38 AM EST
“MasterChef New Zealand” has declared its first casualties. A day after premiering its fifth season on air on Sunday, the top-rating cooking reality show has eliminated its first couple.
Friends Thiago de Almeida Schaich and Janaina Mendes from Auckland failed to impress during the first challenge, and were subsequently eliminated.
The pair, as well as fourteen other couples, were tasked to create two Little Black Forest Cakes for guest judge Donna Hay.
As per the mechanics of the challenge, the pairs would split up to bake the cakes. One contestant from each team would tackle the cake during the first hour, while their teammate would make another during the second hour.
Thiago and Janaina were confident that they would nail the task easily. As Thiago said, “ I have baked before, I like to be precise, so – no problem!”
But baking with a time limit did not appear to be his forte; he was rushing to get the cake done halfway his time. In his rush, he forgot to add sherry, the key ingredient.
Hay, as well as judges Josh Emett, Simon Gault, and Ray McVinnie, thought their cakes were a disaster.
“There’s no cherry or kirsch taste, so it’s just a chocolate cake,” Hay observed.
Judge Josh Emett called their cakes “poorly made,” “boring,” and “flat.”
“They are the worst cakes of the day,” he told them.
Thiago and Janaina landed in the bottom two with flatmates Glyn Rudolph and James Culleton before unsurprisingly getting eliminated from the show.
“I was here to be a MasterChef,” Janaina said, adding that it’s the end of a dream for them.
Later on, a solo Thiago spoke with MSN NZ to talk about their experience on the show.
The couple only knew each other a month before the show started, which, Thiago thinks, was their biggest challenge together.
“As we literally just met one month before the programme, we didn’t have time to prepare and we didn’t know how the other would respond during stressful moments. Also we didn’t have a clue about strengths and weaknesses of each other.”
He replied when asked what they learnt from being on the show: “I think being on MasterChef you are aligned with the best in the country and the possibility to exchange ideas and learn from each other is simply awesome.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored