‘Supernatural’ Star Jared Padalecki Slammed For Calling Philip Seymour Hoffman’s Death ‘Stupid’ And ‘Senseless’
By Anne Lu | February 4, 2014 6:07 AM EST
“Supernatural” star Jared Padalecki is under fire for calling Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death “stupid.” The Academy Award winner was found dead in his Manhattan office apartment on Sunday from an apparent overdose, which the younger actor thought was “senseless.”
“’Sad’ isn’t the word I’d use to describe a 46-year-old man throwing his life away to drugs. ‘Senseless’ is more like it. ‘Stupid,’” Padalecki wrote in a Twitter post that he has since deleted but not before it was read by thousands of Hoffman’s mourners.
Some people lashed out at him for apparently being insensitive, with others becoming a bit more personal in their insults and started belittling his career.
Padalecki offered an explanation of his allegedly offensive tweet, but not an apology.
I didnt mean PSH is stupid or that addiction isnt a reality. I simply meant I have a different definition of "tragedy".
— Jared Padalecki (@jarpad) February 2, 2014
When I think "tragedy", I think of St Judes, of genocide, of articles I read in the paper. But, yes, either way, a death, is sad. — Jared Padalecki (@jarpad) February 2, 2014
Hoffman openly acknowledged his battle with his addiction. He admitted in a past interview with “60 Minutes” that he had been in a rehab facility for drugs and alcohol. He checked into another rehab in May 2013 after relapsing.
According to the New York Post, the 46-year-old “Capote” star was discovered dead on a bathroom floor of his apartment on Sunday. A needle was still injected in his left forearm.
Padalecki appeared to be really anti-drug use.
Earlier in January, Beliebers have rallied against him for insinuating Justin Bieber paid his friend Lil Za to take the fall for him when police found cocaine in his house.
Lil Za was arrested for cocaine possession after a raid on Bieber’s mansion in Calabasas, Los Angeles on January 14. Although officials said that the Canadian singer himself was “not connected” to cocaine, there are many sceptics, including Padalecki.
The 31-year-old actor tweeted:
Hey @justinbieber, how much are you paying your friend for pretending that it was HIS cocaine, and taking the fall for you?
— Jared Padalecki (@jarpad) January 14, 2014
Padalecki’s tweet infuriated Justin’s Beliebers, who are mostly tween girls. They vowed to boycott the actor’s show in an attempt to teach him a lesson.
However, it appeared that while it was offensive to Beliebers, it had even garnered the support of many people who don’t like Bieber.
As Misha Collins, Padalecki’s co-star, tweeted the impact of Padalecki’s tweet “devastated” the rating of their show. He was, of course, sarcastic, as the first episode of “Supernatural” since the controversy became the most watched episode in more than three years.
The Belieber boycott of #supernatural devastated viewership last night. Lesson learned: don't mess with @justinbieber http://t.co/6nnNJXX9Zn — Misha Collins (@mishacollins) January 22, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy