‘Supernatural’ Star Jared Padalecki Slammed For Calling Philip Seymour Hoffman’s Death ‘Stupid’ And ‘Senseless’
By Anne Lu | February 4, 2014 6:07 AM EST
“Supernatural” star Jared Padalecki is under fire for calling Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death “stupid.” The Academy Award winner was found dead in his Manhattan office apartment on Sunday from an apparent overdose, which the younger actor thought was “senseless.”
“’Sad’ isn’t the word I’d use to describe a 46-year-old man throwing his life away to drugs. ‘Senseless’ is more like it. ‘Stupid,’” Padalecki wrote in a Twitter post that he has since deleted but not before it was read by thousands of Hoffman’s mourners.
Some people lashed out at him for apparently being insensitive, with others becoming a bit more personal in their insults and started belittling his career.
Padalecki offered an explanation of his allegedly offensive tweet, but not an apology.
I didnt mean PSH is stupid or that addiction isnt a reality. I simply meant I have a different definition of "tragedy".
— Jared Padalecki (@jarpad) February 2, 2014
When I think "tragedy", I think of St Judes, of genocide, of articles I read in the paper. But, yes, either way, a death, is sad. — Jared Padalecki (@jarpad) February 2, 2014
Hoffman openly acknowledged his battle with his addiction. He admitted in a past interview with “60 Minutes” that he had been in a rehab facility for drugs and alcohol. He checked into another rehab in May 2013 after relapsing.
According to the New York Post, the 46-year-old “Capote” star was discovered dead on a bathroom floor of his apartment on Sunday. A needle was still injected in his left forearm.
Padalecki appeared to be really anti-drug use.
Earlier in January, Beliebers have rallied against him for insinuating Justin Bieber paid his friend Lil Za to take the fall for him when police found cocaine in his house.
Lil Za was arrested for cocaine possession after a raid on Bieber’s mansion in Calabasas, Los Angeles on January 14. Although officials said that the Canadian singer himself was “not connected” to cocaine, there are many sceptics, including Padalecki.
The 31-year-old actor tweeted:
Hey @justinbieber, how much are you paying your friend for pretending that it was HIS cocaine, and taking the fall for you?
— Jared Padalecki (@jarpad) January 14, 2014
Padalecki’s tweet infuriated Justin’s Beliebers, who are mostly tween girls. They vowed to boycott the actor’s show in an attempt to teach him a lesson.
However, it appeared that while it was offensive to Beliebers, it had even garnered the support of many people who don’t like Bieber.
As Misha Collins, Padalecki’s co-star, tweeted the impact of Padalecki’s tweet “devastated” the rating of their show. He was, of course, sarcastic, as the first episode of “Supernatural” since the controversy became the most watched episode in more than three years.
The Belieber boycott of #supernatural devastated viewership last night. Lesson learned: don't mess with @justinbieber http://t.co/6nnNJXX9Zn — Misha Collins (@mishacollins) January 22, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues