‘Supernatural’ Star Jared Padalecki Slammed For Calling Philip Seymour Hoffman’s Death ‘Stupid’ And ‘Senseless’
By Anne Lu | February 4, 2014 6:07 AM EST
“Supernatural” star Jared Padalecki is under fire for calling Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death “stupid.” The Academy Award winner was found dead in his Manhattan office apartment on Sunday from an apparent overdose, which the younger actor thought was “senseless.”
“’Sad’ isn’t the word I’d use to describe a 46-year-old man throwing his life away to drugs. ‘Senseless’ is more like it. ‘Stupid,’” Padalecki wrote in a Twitter post that he has since deleted but not before it was read by thousands of Hoffman’s mourners.
Some people lashed out at him for apparently being insensitive, with others becoming a bit more personal in their insults and started belittling his career.
Padalecki offered an explanation of his allegedly offensive tweet, but not an apology.
I didnt mean PSH is stupid or that addiction isnt a reality. I simply meant I have a different definition of "tragedy".
— Jared Padalecki (@jarpad) February 2, 2014
When I think "tragedy", I think of St Judes, of genocide, of articles I read in the paper. But, yes, either way, a death, is sad. — Jared Padalecki (@jarpad) February 2, 2014
Hoffman openly acknowledged his battle with his addiction. He admitted in a past interview with “60 Minutes” that he had been in a rehab facility for drugs and alcohol. He checked into another rehab in May 2013 after relapsing.
According to the New York Post, the 46-year-old “Capote” star was discovered dead on a bathroom floor of his apartment on Sunday. A needle was still injected in his left forearm.
Padalecki appeared to be really anti-drug use.
Earlier in January, Beliebers have rallied against him for insinuating Justin Bieber paid his friend Lil Za to take the fall for him when police found cocaine in his house.
Lil Za was arrested for cocaine possession after a raid on Bieber’s mansion in Calabasas, Los Angeles on January 14. Although officials said that the Canadian singer himself was “not connected” to cocaine, there are many sceptics, including Padalecki.
The 31-year-old actor tweeted:
Hey @justinbieber, how much are you paying your friend for pretending that it was HIS cocaine, and taking the fall for you?
— Jared Padalecki (@jarpad) January 14, 2014
Padalecki’s tweet infuriated Justin’s Beliebers, who are mostly tween girls. They vowed to boycott the actor’s show in an attempt to teach him a lesson.
However, it appeared that while it was offensive to Beliebers, it had even garnered the support of many people who don’t like Bieber.
As Misha Collins, Padalecki’s co-star, tweeted the impact of Padalecki’s tweet “devastated” the rating of their show. He was, of course, sarcastic, as the first episode of “Supernatural” since the controversy became the most watched episode in more than three years.
The Belieber boycott of #supernatural devastated viewership last night. Lesson learned: don't mess with @justinbieber http://t.co/6nnNJXX9Zn — Misha Collins (@mishacollins) January 22, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money