Boxing News 2014: Marquez in About Face, Willing to Fight Pacquiao If Filipino Boxer Wins Bout vs Bradley; Eyes 5th Title
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 4, 2014 1:31 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines watches as Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico is knocked down in the fifth round of their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada December 8, 2012.[REUTERS/STEVE MARCUS]
NZ Teen Who Posted Video on Internet of Drunken Friends Having Sex Blames Rugby Head Injury for Poor Judgment
Mayweather Jr Admits Being Scared of Losing to Pacquiao But Open to Fighting Filipino Champ; Pacquiao Dares Mayweather to Fight for Charity, Pays Taxman P32 Million
Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum disclosed on Monday that Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez has changed his mind and is interested in fighting eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao. But he has one condition - that the Filipino congressman from Sarangani province beat Timothy Bradley and gain back the WBO welterweight belt.
Arum explained that Marquez wants to own that title before he retires from the ring, so he changed his mind and agreed to fight the winner of the Pacquiao-Bradley match in the fall.
If he wins the title, Marquez could retire at 40 with 5 titles to his name: the welterweight, featherweight, super featherweight, lightweight and light welterweigh. He currently shares the distinction of having four division world titles with boxers Erik Morales and Jorge Arce.
But winning his fifth title would still be 3 titles short of the 8 titles that Pacquiao held.
Marquez tried twice to snatch the WBO welterweight title, but he lost to the Filipino southpaw in their third bout and to Bradley in a split decision in 2013.
Arum pointed out, quoted by GMA, "He doesn't want to face Pacquiao again if Pacquiao is not successful with Bradley. But if Pacquiao is successful with Bradley, he has stated that he wants to face Pacquiao."
The Top Rank boss added that Marquez is disinterested in a bout with light welterweight champ Ruslan Provodnikov of Russia who has been openly challenging the Mexican boxer to a match because he stands to lose more if Marquez would be defeated by the young Russian boxer and nothing to gain if he triumphs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage