Boxing News 2014: Marquez in About Face, Willing to Fight Pacquiao If Filipino Boxer Wins Bout vs Bradley; Eyes 5th Title
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 4, 2014 1:31 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines watches as Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico is knocked down in the fifth round of their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada December 8, 2012.[REUTERS/STEVE MARCUS]
NZ Teen Who Posted Video on Internet of Drunken Friends Having Sex Blames Rugby Head Injury for Poor Judgment
Mayweather Jr Admits Being Scared of Losing to Pacquiao But Open to Fighting Filipino Champ; Pacquiao Dares Mayweather to Fight for Charity, Pays Taxman P32 Million
Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum disclosed on Monday that Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez has changed his mind and is interested in fighting eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao. But he has one condition - that the Filipino congressman from Sarangani province beat Timothy Bradley and gain back the WBO welterweight belt.
Arum explained that Marquez wants to own that title before he retires from the ring, so he changed his mind and agreed to fight the winner of the Pacquiao-Bradley match in the fall.
If he wins the title, Marquez could retire at 40 with 5 titles to his name: the welterweight, featherweight, super featherweight, lightweight and light welterweigh. He currently shares the distinction of having four division world titles with boxers Erik Morales and Jorge Arce.
But winning his fifth title would still be 3 titles short of the 8 titles that Pacquiao held.
Marquez tried twice to snatch the WBO welterweight title, but he lost to the Filipino southpaw in their third bout and to Bradley in a split decision in 2013.
Arum pointed out, quoted by GMA, "He doesn't want to face Pacquiao again if Pacquiao is not successful with Bradley. But if Pacquiao is successful with Bradley, he has stated that he wants to face Pacquiao."
The Top Rank boss added that Marquez is disinterested in a bout with light welterweight champ Ruslan Provodnikov of Russia who has been openly challenging the Mexican boxer to a match because he stands to lose more if Marquez would be defeated by the young Russian boxer and nothing to gain if he triumphs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date