Boxing News 2014: Marquez in About Face, Willing to Fight Pacquiao If Filipino Boxer Wins Bout vs Bradley; Eyes 5th Title
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 4, 2014 1:31 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines watches as Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico is knocked down in the fifth round of their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada December 8, 2012.[REUTERS/STEVE MARCUS]
NZ Teen Who Posted Video on Internet of Drunken Friends Having Sex Blames Rugby Head Injury for Poor Judgment
Mayweather Jr Admits Being Scared of Losing to Pacquiao But Open to Fighting Filipino Champ; Pacquiao Dares Mayweather to Fight for Charity, Pays Taxman P32 Million
Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum disclosed on Monday that Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez has changed his mind and is interested in fighting eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao. But he has one condition - that the Filipino congressman from Sarangani province beat Timothy Bradley and gain back the WBO welterweight belt.
Arum explained that Marquez wants to own that title before he retires from the ring, so he changed his mind and agreed to fight the winner of the Pacquiao-Bradley match in the fall.
If he wins the title, Marquez could retire at 40 with 5 titles to his name: the welterweight, featherweight, super featherweight, lightweight and light welterweigh. He currently shares the distinction of having four division world titles with boxers Erik Morales and Jorge Arce.
But winning his fifth title would still be 3 titles short of the 8 titles that Pacquiao held.
Marquez tried twice to snatch the WBO welterweight title, but he lost to the Filipino southpaw in their third bout and to Bradley in a split decision in 2013.
Arum pointed out, quoted by GMA, "He doesn't want to face Pacquiao again if Pacquiao is not successful with Bradley. But if Pacquiao is successful with Bradley, he has stated that he wants to face Pacquiao."
The Top Rank boss added that Marquez is disinterested in a bout with light welterweight champ Ruslan Provodnikov of Russia who has been openly challenging the Mexican boxer to a match because he stands to lose more if Marquez would be defeated by the young Russian boxer and nothing to gain if he triumphs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]