Cate Blanchett and Alec Baldwin have responded to Dylan Farrow’s open letter published on the New York Times. Mia Farrow and Woody Allen’s adopted daughter called out her father’s film actors for working with him even though he allegedly sexually abused her when she was just seven years old.
Dylan, who is now called by a different name, recalled how she was sexually abused by Allen in 1992. She said that Allen had abused her several times, and the incident in the attic of their house was just one of many.
Near the end of her letter, she called out to the stars who starred in her father’s films, including Blanchett and Baldwin, who star in the Academy Award-nominated drama “Blue Jasmine.”
“What if it had been your child, Cate Blanchett? Louis CK? Alec Baldwin? What if it had been you, Emma Stone? Or you, Scarlett Johansson? You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?”
Blanchett, an Oscar nominee for Best Actress for her film with Allen, responded to the letter through journalist Jeffrey Wells at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival.
“It’s obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some sort of resolution and peace,” she was quoted by Wells as saying.
If her answer appear to be a bit evasive, Baldwin’s had a different take, preferring to go on the offensive against people who dare to have an opinion about the famous family’s drama.
“What the f&@% is wrong w u that u think we all need to b commenting on this family’s personal struggle?” he tweeted as a reply to a follower who asked if he owes Dylan an apology.
He also replied to another, “You are mistaken if you think there is a place for me, or any outsider, in this family’s issue.”
The tweets were since deleted.
Allen himself has refused to comment on the issue when confronted by TMZ, but his people have replied for him.
“It is tragic that after 20 years a story engineered by a vengeful lover resurfaces after it was fully vetted and rejected by independent authorities. The one to blame for Dylan’s distress is neither Dylan nor Woody Allen,” his attorney, Elkan Abramowitz, said in a statement.
Allen’s publicist added that the filmmaker found Dylan’s letter to be “untrue and disgraceful,” saying that Allen would be responding “very soon.”
“At the time, a thorough investigation was conducted by court appointed independent experts. The experts concluded there was no credible evidence of molestation; that Dylan Farrow had an inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality; and that Dylan Farrow had likely been coached by her mother Mia Farrow. No charges were ever filed.”
The appellate court’s finding on the warring ex-couple’s custody case in 1994 noted that Allen alleged it was Mia who fabricated his abuse of Dylan to get back at him for marrying Soon-Yi, Mia's adopted daughter with ex-husband Andre Previn.
However, it also added that “our review of the record militates against a finding that Ms Farrow fabricated the allegations without any basis.”
And as for the alleged abuse, it continued, “While the tendency of Dylan to withdraw into a fantasy and the inconsistencies in her account of the events of August 4, 1992... must be taken into account in the evaluation of these serious allegations, the testimony given at trial by the individuals caring for the children that day, the videotape of Dylan made by Ms Farrow the following day and the accounts of Dylan’s behaviour toward Mr Allen both before and after the alleged instance of abuse, suggest that the abuse did occur.
“While the evidence in support of the allegations remains inconclusive, it is clear that the investigation of the charges in and of itself could not have left Dylan unaffected.”
To contact the editor, e-mail: