Catching Fire Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead: Jennifer Lawrence, Other Celebrities Pay Tributes
By Vanessa Francisco | February 3, 2014 10:39 PM EST
Highly acclaimed "Hunger Games Catching Fire" Director and Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his bathroom in Manhattan home after suffering from suspected drugs overdose.
Hoffman has won a series of awards, including Best Actor Oscar for his 2005 film, "Capote" performance.
"RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman. Such an incredible actor. You played an excellent Plutarch. So sad," "Hunger Games Catching Fire" Co-star Jennifer Lawrence said.
Mia Farrow offered her tribute to the 46-year-old actor on Twitter, saying: "OH NO!!!!! Philip Seymour Hoffman has died. A truly kind, wonderful man and one of our greatest actors - ever."
"Green Card" Actress Andie MacDowell also tweeted: "Phillip Seymour Hoffman was not only a genius actor but a kind, generous man RIP."
"I feel very fortunate to have worked with an extraordinary Philip Seymour Hoffman and I am deeply saddened by his passing," Julianne Moore who worked with Philip in Magnolia, Boogie Nights and Big Lebowski, told Entertainment Weekly.
"My condolences and thoughts are with his family."
"There are no words. It is just terrible," George Clooney also told EW.
"This is a horrible day for people who worked with him. He was a giant talent," Tom Hanks said. "Our hearts are open for Philip's family."
"A tragedy to lose as supremely talented an actor as Philip Seymour Hoffman. This is an unspeakable loss for theatre, film and all who knew him. RIP," Kevin Spacey tweeted.
"Philip Seymour Hoffman was a brilliant, talented man. The news this morning is shocking and sad. My heart goes out to his loved ones," Ellen De Generes tweeted.
"Unbelievable talent. The creative community has lost a true acting genius. RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman," Channing Tatum posted.
"Shocked to hear of Philip Seymour Hoffman's death. If you missed him as Willy Loman, you missed a Willy Loman for all time," Steve Martin tweeted.
Hoffman leaves Mimi O'Donnel, his partner, and three children. He had undergone treatment for dependency to pills and heroin use. But the Hollywood star struggled to overcome his addiction.
He began using prescription drugs in 2012 before starting heroin. In 2013, Hoffman fell off the wagon 23 years after he first quit drugs, being afraid that substance abuse would kill him. He initially spent 10 days in clinic for treatment.
"I think back at the time, if I had money, I would have died," Hoffman said regarding his substance abuse in the past.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation