Philip Seymour Hoffman Tribute: Quotes, Filmography, Last Interview [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 3, 2014 7:10 PM EST
The sudden death of American actor Philip Seymour Hoffman is being met with shock and abject disbelief. Hoffman could perhaps be regarded as one of the most ambitious and much loved American actors of his generation, who gave a new meaning to acting whether it was the role of a sidekick, villain or a leading man.
He died on Sunday at a his New York apartment due to an alleged drug-overdose. He was 46.
The NY investigators found a syringe and packet of heroin next to the body of the deceased actor. Hoffman has been long known for his struggle with heroin.
Ten Best Quotes by Philip Seymour Hoffman
- "When you become a parent, you look at your parents differently. You look at being a child differently. It's an awakening, a revelation that you have."
- "The ambition, the drive, the wanting to be the center of attention, the wanting to succeed... They're all inside me somewhere."
- "Creating something is all about problem-solving."
- "I didn't go out looking for negative characters; I went out looking for people who have a struggle and a fight to tackle. That's what interests me."
- "I know I wasn't as handsome as some other guys, but I was OK with that."
- "Actors are responsible to the people we play."
- "If you're a human being walking the earth, you're weird, you're strange, you're psychologically challenged."
- "Well, I think everyone struggles with self-love."
- "Acting is so difficult for me that, unless the work is of a certain stature in my mind, unless I reach the expectations I have of myself, I'm unhappy. Then it's a miserable existence. I'm putting a piece of myself out there. If it doesn't do anything, I feel so ashamed. I'm afraid I'll be the kind of actor who thought he would make a difference and didn't. Right now, though, I feel like I made a little bit of difference."
- "Other people disagree with me, but Scent of a Woman really was my breakthrough. I was working in the prepared foods section of a deli when I was cast in that movie, and I've never had a non-acting job since. That's amazing."
Philip Seymour Hoffman Filmography:
Currently in post production
• TV series (Happyish)
• The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1
Set For Release in 2014
• God's Pocket
• A Most Wanted Man
• Günther Bachmann
•The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Plutarch Heavensbee)
• Back Beyond (Video short in which he played Lancaster Dodd)
• A Late Quartet (Robert Gelbart)
• The Master (Lancaster Dodd)
• Moneyball (Art Howe)
• The Ides of March (Paul Zara)
• A Child's Garden of Poetry (TV Movie) (voice)
• Jack Goes Boating (Jack)
• Arthur (TV Series playing Will Toffman)
• No Acting Please/Prunella Deegan and the Disappointing Ending (2009) ... Will Toffman (voice)
• The Invention of Lying (Jim the Bartender)
• Pirate Radio (The Count)
• Mary and Max - Max Jerry Horovitz (voice)
• Doubt (Father Brendan Flynn)
• Synecdoche, New York (Caden Cotard)
• Charlie Wilson's War (Gust Avrakotos)
• Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Andy)
• The Savages (Jon Savage)
• Mission: Impossible III (Owen Davian)
• Capote (Truman Capote)
• Empire Falls (TV Movie playing Charlie Mayne)
• Strangers with Candy (Henry)
• Along Came Polly (Sandy Lyle)
• Cold Mountain (Reverend Veasey)
• Mattress Man Commercial (Video short playing Dean Trumbell)
• Owning Mahowny (Dan Mahowny)
• 25th Hour (Jacob Elinsky)
• Red Dragon (Freddy Lounds)
• Punch-Drunk Love (Dean Trumbell)
• Love Liza (Wilson Joel)
• Almost Famous (Lester Bangs)
• State and Main (Joseph Turner White)
• The Talented Mr. Ripley (Freddie Miles)
• Magnolia (Phil Parma)
• Flawless (Rusty)
• Patch Adams (Mitch)
• Happiness (Allen)
• The Big Lebowski (Brandt)
• Next Stop Wonderland (Sean)
• Montana (Duncan)
• Liberty! The American Revolution (TV Mini-Series)
• The Times That Try Men's Souls: 1776-1777 (1997) ... Joseph Plumb Martin
• Oh, Fatal Ambition: 1777-1778 (1997) ... Joseph Plumb Martin
• The Reluctant Revolutionaries: 1763-1774 (1997) ... Joseph Plumb Martin
• Blows Must Decide: 1774-1776 (1997) ... Joseph Plumb Martin
• Culture (Short in which played Bill)
• Boogie Nights (Scotty J.)
• Twister (Dustin Davis)
• Hard Eight Young Craps Player (as Phillip Seymour Hoffman)
• The Fifteen Minute Hamlet (Short in which he played Bernardo / Horatio / Laertes )
• Nobody's Fool (Officer Raymer)
• When a Man Loves a Woman (Gary)
• The Yearling (TV Movie, played Buck)
• Szuler (Martin)
• The Getaway (Frank Hansen)
• Money for Nothing (Cochran)
• My Boyfriend's Back (Chuck Bronski)
• Joey Breaker (Wiley McCall)
• Scent of a Woman ( he played bartender George Willis, Jr. and claims this as his 'breakout' role)
• Leap of Faith (Matt)
• My New Gun (Chris)
• Triple Bogey on a Par Five Hole (Klutch)
• Law & Order (TV Series)
Philip Seymour Hoffman Last Interview- Video
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Sydney Siege Victim Katrina Dawson Killed by Man Haron Monis, Preliminary Report Suggests
- Sydney Siege Aftermath: Australia's Gun Laws May Be Under Review
- Australian Muslim Says Sorry for Sydney Siege
- Sweden Launches Website To Crack Down On Child Sex Tourists
- Rupert Murdoch Blasted For 'Insensitive' Tweet Over Bloody Outcome of Sydney Siege