Philip Seymour Hoffman’s Last Few Months were ‘Troubled’; Stars React to his Drug Overdose Death
By Keerthi Mohan | February 3, 2014 6:20 PM EST
Oscar winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman lost his life on Feb. 2 to an apparent overdose of drugs, a vice he has been struggling with for a good part of his life.
Although he had checked into a rehab last year, Hoffman was unable to keep his addiction under control, and was found dead in his New York City apartment with a hypodermic needle still in his arm. A packet suspected to be heroin was found next to his lifeless body, multiple reports said.
Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman allegedly admitted checking himself into rehab after snorting heroin.
In the months leading up to his death, Hoffman was said to be troubled and this might have increased his dependency on drugs. Hoffman split from his girlfriend of 14 years, Mimi O'Donnell, just months before his death, and had been staying $10,000-a-month apartment, according to Mail Online.
O'Donnell is said to be devastated at the loss. “Mimi is inconsolable,” a source told Showbiz Spy. “He had his problems, but she thought he was on the road to recovery following his recent rehab stint.”
“Mimi already had a tough few days, after the recent hoax that claimed Philip had died.”
Hoffman’s last public appearance was during the Sundance Festival, where he appeared worn out and troubled. Reportedly, he kept away from the media, and denied various requests for interviews.
A neighbour of Hoffman’s also echoed that the actor seemed unwell. “He did not look well recently — like he was out of it,” the woman said, according to New York Post. “I think him and his woman friend were off and on. He lived down here for a long time and was well liked, but everyone knew he had substance-abuse problems,” she added.
Hollywood is in shock over Hoffman’s death, and stars have been taking to their social networking sites to express their sadness.
Check out some of the tweets below.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a genius, brave and sweet. Can't believe he's gone. Huge loss. My deepest sympathy for his wife and children - Susan Sarandon
Oh boy what is HAPPENING? All these beautiful people leaving too early. What a sweet soul, Phil Hoffman was, what a sad, sad day – Minnie Driver
Shocked to hear of Philip Seymour Hoffman’s death. If you missed him as Willy Loman, you missed a Willy Loman for all time – Steve Martin
Just hearing about Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Devastating. What an amazingly gifted actor. RIP – Justin Timberlake
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect