'Man of Steel 2' Casting News: Jesse Eisenberg To Portray Superman's Archenemy Lex Luthor
By Jenalyn Villamarin | February 3, 2014 5:21 PM EST
The latest casting reports on the upcoming film "Man of Steel 2" reveal that "The Social Network" star Jesse Eisenberg will portray Superman's archenemy Lex Luthor on the big screen. According to the People report, Warner Bros. made the casting announcement on Friday, Jan. 31.
Jesse Eisenberg's second play, "The Revisionists," is set to debut off-Broadway. Eisenberg will star in the drama alongside with Vanessa Redgrave.
'Supernatural' Season 9 Spoilers: Dean Winchester Really Loves to Eat Even When Investigating a Case, Watch Another Promo Video For Episode 13 'The Purge'
‘Vampire Diaries’ Season 5 Episode 12 Recap/Spoilers: Katherine is ‘The Devil Inside’ Elena’s Body, Watch Promo Video For Episode 13 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'
"Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions," director Zack Snyder explained in the HitFix report. The film director noted that the character Lex Luther has always been considered the most notorious rival of Superman.
Mr Snyder further shared: "What's great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He's a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman."
The announcement on Jesse Eisenberg's casting put a stop to the casting rumours on the actors who could portray the role. Previous reports claimed that older actors were considered for the part like "Breaking Bad" star Bryan Cranston, Mark Strong of "Low Winter Sun" and "The Master" actor Joaquin Phoenix.
Jesse Eisenberg is expected to match or even surpass the performance of the actors who portrayed Lex Luthor in the past. Gene Hackman starred in four films as Lex Luthor beginning with the 1978 film "Superman: The Movie" while Kevin Spacey portrayed the role in "Superman Returns" back in 2006.
The 30-year-old actor received an Academy Award nomination for his performance in the David Fincher film "The Social Network." Mr Eisenberg's other upcoming projects include the "Now You See Me Again" sequel as well as "Rio 2."
The Warner Bros. announcement also revealed that actor Jeremy Irons will be portraying Bruce Wayne's trusted butler Alfred Pennyworth in "Man of Steel 2." Actor Michael Caine portrayed the role in director Christopher Nolan's take on the Batman trilogy and Jeremy Irons will now become Bruce Wayne's butler, guardian and friend in the upcoming Superman-Batman film.
Director Zack Snyder commented that Jeremy Iron's character is an important factor in Bruce Wayne's transformation into the black-caped superhero. "It is an honor to have such an amazingly seasoned and gifted actor as Jeremy taking on the important role of the man who mentors and guides the guarded and nearly impervious façade that encapsulates Bruce Wayne," Mr Snyder stated.
Jesse Eisenberg and Jeremy Irons will be joining British actor Henry Cavill who reprises the role of Superman, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, Diane Lane as Martha Kent with the new faces such as Ben Affleck as Batman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. "Man of Steel 2" is scheduled to hit theaters on May 6, 2016.
More Articles to Read:
'Man of Steel 2' Filming Set to Begin Immediately? Ben Affleck Share Insights on Being Batman in the Movie Sequel - [READ]
'Man of Steel 2' Casting Rumours: 'Intelligence' Actor Josh Holloway Reacts to Aquaman Reports - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6