'Man of Steel 2' Casting News: Jesse Eisenberg To Portray Superman's Archenemy Lex Luthor
By Jenalyn Villamarin | February 3, 2014 5:21 PM EST
The latest casting reports on the upcoming film "Man of Steel 2" reveal that "The Social Network" star Jesse Eisenberg will portray Superman's archenemy Lex Luthor on the big screen. According to the People report, Warner Bros. made the casting announcement on Friday, Jan. 31.
Jesse Eisenberg's second play, "The Revisionists," is set to debut off-Broadway. Eisenberg will star in the drama alongside with Vanessa Redgrave.
'Supernatural' Season 9 Spoilers: Dean Winchester Really Loves to Eat Even When Investigating a Case, Watch Another Promo Video For Episode 13 'The Purge'
‘Vampire Diaries’ Season 5 Episode 12 Recap/Spoilers: Katherine is ‘The Devil Inside’ Elena’s Body, Watch Promo Video For Episode 13 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'
"Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions," director Zack Snyder explained in the HitFix report. The film director noted that the character Lex Luther has always been considered the most notorious rival of Superman.
Mr Snyder further shared: "What's great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He's a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman."
The announcement on Jesse Eisenberg's casting put a stop to the casting rumours on the actors who could portray the role. Previous reports claimed that older actors were considered for the part like "Breaking Bad" star Bryan Cranston, Mark Strong of "Low Winter Sun" and "The Master" actor Joaquin Phoenix.
Jesse Eisenberg is expected to match or even surpass the performance of the actors who portrayed Lex Luthor in the past. Gene Hackman starred in four films as Lex Luthor beginning with the 1978 film "Superman: The Movie" while Kevin Spacey portrayed the role in "Superman Returns" back in 2006.
The 30-year-old actor received an Academy Award nomination for his performance in the David Fincher film "The Social Network." Mr Eisenberg's other upcoming projects include the "Now You See Me Again" sequel as well as "Rio 2."
The Warner Bros. announcement also revealed that actor Jeremy Irons will be portraying Bruce Wayne's trusted butler Alfred Pennyworth in "Man of Steel 2." Actor Michael Caine portrayed the role in director Christopher Nolan's take on the Batman trilogy and Jeremy Irons will now become Bruce Wayne's butler, guardian and friend in the upcoming Superman-Batman film.
Director Zack Snyder commented that Jeremy Iron's character is an important factor in Bruce Wayne's transformation into the black-caped superhero. "It is an honor to have such an amazingly seasoned and gifted actor as Jeremy taking on the important role of the man who mentors and guides the guarded and nearly impervious façade that encapsulates Bruce Wayne," Mr Snyder stated.
Jesse Eisenberg and Jeremy Irons will be joining British actor Henry Cavill who reprises the role of Superman, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, Diane Lane as Martha Kent with the new faces such as Ben Affleck as Batman, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. "Man of Steel 2" is scheduled to hit theaters on May 6, 2016.
More Articles to Read:
'Man of Steel 2' Filming Set to Begin Immediately? Ben Affleck Share Insights on Being Batman in the Movie Sequel - [READ]
'Man of Steel 2' Casting Rumours: 'Intelligence' Actor Josh Holloway Reacts to Aquaman Reports - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- Norman Reedus Instagrams ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Poster Featuring Rick Grimes With A Twist
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet