Super Bowl XLVIII: Floyd Mayweather Jr. did not Bet $10.4 Million on Denver Broncos
By Keerthi Mohan | February 3, 2014 5:15 PM EST
The Seattle Seahawks’ win at Super Bowl XLVIII on Sunday would have been a huge blow to boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. if rumors of him betting millions on the Denver Broncos had been true.
The Seattle Seahawks crushed the Denver Broncos 43-8 on Sunday, to take home the Vince Lombardi Trophy. And, if Mayweather had placed the bet, his purse would have been lighter by $10.4 million.
But in the early hours of Monday, Mayweather took to his Instagram and Twitter accounts to note that the Broncos wouldn’t have been his bet at all.
“Somebody lied to you all. If I was going to bet, I would have bet on the Seattle Seahawks. I'm the best defensive fighter, it's only right to go with the best defensive team,” Mayweather wrote.
He followed it up with another message congratulating Seattle Seahawks for the Super Bowl win, and said that the only person he would bet such large sums would be on himself.
“Congratulations Seattle Seahawks for winning the Super Bowl! For the record, I did not bet $10 million on The Broncos. As a matter of fact, I didn't bet at all. I can't control what rumors that are put out there, Good or bad publicity keeps me relevant. The only thing I would bet $10 million on is MYSELF. From the looks of my record, I'm a guaranteed WIN!!!” Mayweather wrote.
The story that Mayweather waged $10.4 million based on his conviction that the Broncos would crush Seahawks started doing the rounds last week, when someone posted a picture of him posing with large sums of money online.
And, despite Mayweather’s team denying that such a bet was placed, the rumor spread quickly, as the boxer is not new to the betting game.
Late last year, Mayweather won $200,000 by betting on college football star Johnny Manziel, and he even posted a picture of the receipt on Twitter to prove it.
“Congratulations @JManziel2 for putting on a fantastic show. He may not be able to make money off himself but I can,” the boxer wrote.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage