Super Bowl XLVIII: Floyd Mayweather Jr. did not Bet $10.4 Million on Denver Broncos
By Keerthi Mohan | February 3, 2014 5:15 PM EST
The Seattle Seahawks’ win at Super Bowl XLVIII on Sunday would have been a huge blow to boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. if rumors of him betting millions on the Denver Broncos had been true.
The Seattle Seahawks crushed the Denver Broncos 43-8 on Sunday, to take home the Vince Lombardi Trophy. And, if Mayweather had placed the bet, his purse would have been lighter by $10.4 million.
But in the early hours of Monday, Mayweather took to his Instagram and Twitter accounts to note that the Broncos wouldn’t have been his bet at all.
“Somebody lied to you all. If I was going to bet, I would have bet on the Seattle Seahawks. I'm the best defensive fighter, it's only right to go with the best defensive team,” Mayweather wrote.
He followed it up with another message congratulating Seattle Seahawks for the Super Bowl win, and said that the only person he would bet such large sums would be on himself.
“Congratulations Seattle Seahawks for winning the Super Bowl! For the record, I did not bet $10 million on The Broncos. As a matter of fact, I didn't bet at all. I can't control what rumors that are put out there, Good or bad publicity keeps me relevant. The only thing I would bet $10 million on is MYSELF. From the looks of my record, I'm a guaranteed WIN!!!” Mayweather wrote.
The story that Mayweather waged $10.4 million based on his conviction that the Broncos would crush Seahawks started doing the rounds last week, when someone posted a picture of him posing with large sums of money online.
And, despite Mayweather’s team denying that such a bet was placed, the rumor spread quickly, as the boxer is not new to the betting game.
Late last year, Mayweather won $200,000 by betting on college football star Johnny Manziel, and he even posted a picture of the receipt on Twitter to prove it.
“Congratulations @JManziel2 for putting on a fantastic show. He may not be able to make money off himself but I can,” the boxer wrote.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2