3 Dead in Italy on Floods and Snow, Europe Deluged with Bad Weather (Video)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 3, 2014 4:49 PM EST
Video Source: YouTube/ John Sale
At least three people have died as heavy rains continued to hit central and southern Italy three days now. The heavy rains and floods have not only caused deaths but also power cuts, road obstructions and other damages.
Confirmed dead were two women and a seven-year-old girl believed to have been stuck in their car as it got swept along by waters of the floods. They have yet to be identified.
The Rome Jewish community are currently racing against time to protect the Spanish Synagogue and the Rome Jewish Museum from the swollen Tiber River. Volunteers have worked to place sandbags and protective sheets to prevent water coming in at both institutions which are located below street level.
"There was a risk that manholes would explode or even that the Tiber would burst its banks," Fabio Perugia, community spokesman, told the Rome Jewish community news site.
The institutions hold a number of valuable relics, "important items such as manuscripts from 1300 and precious vestments."
Weather experts have said more rains could be expected in the coming days and could worsen already dangerous conditions.
The Tiber river has already overflowed in several areas.
The floods have created widespread damage such as the large crater found in the town of Capena near Rome.
Prensa Latina reported the existing weather conditions have affected other European countries. Heavy snowfalls in Slovenia have caused power cuts, leaving 10 per cent of the total population without electricity.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More