'The Hunger Games: Catching Fire' Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead at 46 in NYC with Hypodermic Needle in Arm, Reactions on Twitter [PHOTOS]
By Janice Somosot | February 3, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Academy Award winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman who was last seen in the box office hit "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" as Plutarch Heavensbee, was found dead at 46 years old in New York City (NYC). Hoffman was reportedly found on Sunday, Feb. 2, 2014 in a Greenwich Village apartment with a hypodermic needle stuck in his arm.
According to a report by the New York Post, Hoffman's friend, playwright and screenwriter David Bar Katz and a female friend found him in the said apartment. They went there after getting worried when Hoffman couldn't be reached. Katz said that he called 911 at around 11:30 a.m. on Feb. 2, 2014 after finding Hoffman unconscious on the bathroom floor wearing an underwear. New York Post sources claim that Hoffman was supposed to pick up his three kids (from girlfriend Mimi O'Donnell), but he didn't show up.
The New York Times also reported that investigators who arrived in the Greenwich Village apartment on 35 Bethune St. found five empty plastic envelopes in the trash as well as two plastic envelopes with what looks like heroin in it.
Hoffman's family released the following statement which was stated in a Reuters report:
"We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers," read the statement from Hoffman's family in the report by Reuters.
A lot of people, from celebrity friends to fans took to Twitter to react about Hoffman's sudden and unexpected death including fellow Oscar Best Actor awardee Kevin Spacey, "The Hunger Games" star Wes Bentley (Seneca Crane) and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.
A tragedy to lose as supremely talented an actor as Philip Seymour Hoffman. An unspeakable loss for film, theatre & all who knew him. RIP
— Kevin Spacey (@KevinSpacey) February 2, 2014
My heart is broken. I am empty and incredibly sad. His integrity and precision were unparalleled. RIP PSH — wes bentley (@realwesbentley) February 2, 2014
Philip Seymour Hoffman was a brilliant, talented man. The news this morning is shocking and sad. My heart goes out to his loved ones.
— Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) February 2, 2014
Other Hollywood stars who reacted on Twitter include Jeff Bridges, who starred with Hoffman in the 1998 film "The Big Lebowski," "Glee" stars Lea Michele and Kevin McHale, Val Kilmer, who commented about drug addiction, Ali Larter, Elijah Wood, Rainn Wilson, Zach Braff, Channing Tatum, Aaron Paul, Sean Astin, Katey Sagal, Gabriel Mann, Wil Wheaton, Christina Applegate, Zachary Levi and a whole lot more.
Aside from "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" and "The Big Lebowski," Hoffman was in a lot of memorable Hollywood films including "Scent of a Woman," "Twister," "Boogie Nights," "Patch Adams," "The Talented Mr. Ripley," "Almost Famous," "Cold Mountain," "Along Came Polly," "Capote," "Mission: Impossible III," "Charlie Wilson's War" and "The Ides of March." He won an Oscar (Best Actor) for portraying the role of Truman Capote in the 2005 film "Capote." His upcoming films which have been shot earlier include "God's Pocket," "A Most Wanted Man" and "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay." He will also appear in the TV series "Happyish" as Thom Payne.
Seymour is survived by girlfriend Mimi O'Donnell, a son and two daughters.
Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Found Dead in NYC Apartment: How His Death Will Affect 'The Hunger Games? (Click HERE)
'Hunger Games: The Mockingjay' Movie: No Alterations to be Done Even After News of Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (Click HERE)
Philip Seymour Hoffman Attended Detox For Drug Abuse, 'Hunger Games' Star Was Snorting Heroin: Report (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS