Tollywood Roundup (January 2014): Ram Charan vs Mahesh Babu Clash, Uday Kiran Death and Other News
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 3, 2014 3:12 PM EST
Check out the headline-grabbing stories from Tollywood (Telugu Film industry) last month
Ram Charan vs Mahesh Babu
Ram Charan's "Yevadu" and Mahesh Babu's "1 Nenokkadine" clashed at the box office during the Sankranti festival period.
This was the second time the actors' films released for Sankranti. Last year, Ram Charan's "Naayak" and Mahesh's "Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu" hit the screens at the same time. Although the films faced competition from each other, they performed well at the box office and turned out to be hits.
But this year, "Yevadu" did good business, whereas "1 Nenokkadine" failed to set the cash registers ringing.
Uday Kiran's Death
Telugu film personalities and fans woke to the shocking news of the death of actor Uday Kiran on 6 January.
The actor allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself in his flat at Srinagar colony, Punjagutta in Hyderabad on Sunday night (5 January). Apparently, Uday Kiran killed himself owing to a fading career and financial issues.
Nageswara Rao's Death
Veteran actor Akkineni Nageswara Rao (ANR) passed away on 22 January owing to intestinal cancer. He was 91.
The actor's condition deteriorated in the wee hours of Wednesday (22 January) and he was rushed to the hospital where he breathed his last.
His body was taken to Annapurna Studios, established by him, and placed for the public to pay homage. On 23 January, ANR's body was shifted from the studios to the film chamber and then back to the studio in a procession. He was later laid to rest at the studios.
As a mark of respect, the Telugu film industry announced bandh on 23 January. Film shooting and post production work were cancelled on that day. The screening of films was halted in a few theatres.
Ravi Teja's "Power" Official teaser
The official first look teaser of Ravi Teja's "Power" was released on the eve of the actor's birthday on 26 January. Click HERE, to see the teaser.
The teaser has taken the internet by storm getting more than 5 lakh hits on YouTube. "Power", directed by Bobby, will be a mass action entertainer. Ravi Teja will appear in the role of a police officer in the film, which has Hansika as the female lead.
"Power" is expected to be a summer release this year.
Jr NTR's film with Sukumar has been officially confirmed by its maker BVSN Prasad.
Sukumar directed the recently-released "1 Nenokkadine", which failed to impress the audience. Following the film's failure, speculations were rife that Jr NTR might not team up with Sukumar for a new film.
However, the film's producer BVSN Prasad has officially confirmed that the young tiger of Telugu cinema will work with Sukumar after completing his current project with Santosh Srinivas.
NTR will commence the Sukumar film in April.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia