Tollywood Roundup (January 2014): Ram Charan vs Mahesh Babu Clash, Uday Kiran Death and Other News
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 3, 2014 3:12 PM EST
Check out the headline-grabbing stories from Tollywood (Telugu Film industry) last month
Ram Charan vs Mahesh Babu
Ram Charan's "Yevadu" and Mahesh Babu's "1 Nenokkadine" clashed at the box office during the Sankranti festival period.
This was the second time the actors' films released for Sankranti. Last year, Ram Charan's "Naayak" and Mahesh's "Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu" hit the screens at the same time. Although the films faced competition from each other, they performed well at the box office and turned out to be hits.
But this year, "Yevadu" did good business, whereas "1 Nenokkadine" failed to set the cash registers ringing.
Uday Kiran's Death
Telugu film personalities and fans woke to the shocking news of the death of actor Uday Kiran on 6 January.
The actor allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself in his flat at Srinagar colony, Punjagutta in Hyderabad on Sunday night (5 January). Apparently, Uday Kiran killed himself owing to a fading career and financial issues.
Nageswara Rao's Death
Veteran actor Akkineni Nageswara Rao (ANR) passed away on 22 January owing to intestinal cancer. He was 91.
The actor's condition deteriorated in the wee hours of Wednesday (22 January) and he was rushed to the hospital where he breathed his last.
His body was taken to Annapurna Studios, established by him, and placed for the public to pay homage. On 23 January, ANR's body was shifted from the studios to the film chamber and then back to the studio in a procession. He was later laid to rest at the studios.
As a mark of respect, the Telugu film industry announced bandh on 23 January. Film shooting and post production work were cancelled on that day. The screening of films was halted in a few theatres.
Ravi Teja's "Power" Official teaser
The official first look teaser of Ravi Teja's "Power" was released on the eve of the actor's birthday on 26 January. Click HERE, to see the teaser.
The teaser has taken the internet by storm getting more than 5 lakh hits on YouTube. "Power", directed by Bobby, will be a mass action entertainer. Ravi Teja will appear in the role of a police officer in the film, which has Hansika as the female lead.
"Power" is expected to be a summer release this year.
Jr NTR's film with Sukumar has been officially confirmed by its maker BVSN Prasad.
Sukumar directed the recently-released "1 Nenokkadine", which failed to impress the audience. Following the film's failure, speculations were rife that Jr NTR might not team up with Sukumar for a new film.
However, the film's producer BVSN Prasad has officially confirmed that the young tiger of Telugu cinema will work with Sukumar after completing his current project with Santosh Srinivas.
NTR will commence the Sukumar film in April.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June