Novartis to Cut or Transfer up to 4,000 Pharma Jobs - Paper
February 3, 2014 2:45 PM EST
Swiss drugs group Novartis (NOVN.VX) intends to cut or transfer up to 4,000 jobs, newspaper NZZ am Sonntag reported on Sunday, citing an internal email.
Novartis to cut or transfer up to 4,000 pharma jobs
The plan affecting up to 6 percent of its pharmaceuticals workforce comes on top of a programme to reduce the number of production sites and is part of a larger drive to cut costs, the newspaper said.
Global drugmakers are under increasing pressure from investors to step up restructuring as patents on best-selling drugs expire and governments try to keep a lid on health costs.
Company spokesman Eric Althoff did not confirm the job numbers but issued a statement saying that Novartis intends to prioritise and reallocate resources primarily in pharmaceutical operations to focus on planned product launches and other growth areas.
The measures "reflect the need to respond to a dynamically changing healthcare environment", it said, adding that Novartis expects group headcount to remain largely flat in 2014.
"We expect that an equal number of jobs will be created as are reduced," the statement said.
A significant number of jobs are expected to be moved to India, with the company saying that it plans to move existing operations in Hyderabad to a business services centre as part of its consolidation strategy.
"The new centre is expected to open in late 2015 or early 2016 and will bring together Novartis operations that are currently spread across three sites in Hyderabad as well as provide for future growth," the statement said.
Novartis, which will face copycat competition for blood pressure pill Diovan once Ranbaxy Laboratories (RANB.NS) overcomes regulatory delays for its generic version, posted lower than expected core earnings per share last week.
The company is also conducting a review of its over-the-counter, animal health and vaccines businesses, which lack the global scale of its pharmaceuticals operations.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- Video: Man's Privates Gets Exposed For the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?