Novartis to Cut or Transfer up to 4,000 Pharma Jobs - Paper
February 3, 2014 2:45 PM EST
Swiss drugs group Novartis (NOVN.VX) intends to cut or transfer up to 4,000 jobs, newspaper NZZ am Sonntag reported on Sunday, citing an internal email.
Novartis to cut or transfer up to 4,000 pharma jobs
The plan affecting up to 6 percent of its pharmaceuticals workforce comes on top of a programme to reduce the number of production sites and is part of a larger drive to cut costs, the newspaper said.
Global drugmakers are under increasing pressure from investors to step up restructuring as patents on best-selling drugs expire and governments try to keep a lid on health costs.
Company spokesman Eric Althoff did not confirm the job numbers but issued a statement saying that Novartis intends to prioritise and reallocate resources primarily in pharmaceutical operations to focus on planned product launches and other growth areas.
The measures "reflect the need to respond to a dynamically changing healthcare environment", it said, adding that Novartis expects group headcount to remain largely flat in 2014.
"We expect that an equal number of jobs will be created as are reduced," the statement said.
A significant number of jobs are expected to be moved to India, with the company saying that it plans to move existing operations in Hyderabad to a business services centre as part of its consolidation strategy.
"The new centre is expected to open in late 2015 or early 2016 and will bring together Novartis operations that are currently spread across three sites in Hyderabad as well as provide for future growth," the statement said.
Novartis, which will face copycat competition for blood pressure pill Diovan once Ranbaxy Laboratories (RANB.NS) overcomes regulatory delays for its generic version, posted lower than expected core earnings per share last week.
The company is also conducting a review of its over-the-counter, animal health and vaccines businesses, which lack the global scale of its pharmaceuticals operations.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Acquiring Nuclear Weapons A Game-Changer For Obama As UN Warns of Militants' Two-Year Supply of Weapons
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Viral Video Wife Rapping Salt-N-Pepa Song: Husband's Video Recording Of Wife Rapping 'None Of Your Business' Goes Viral
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘World's Sexiest Criminal’ Says Sorry, Agrees to ‘Face Consequences’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports