‘MasterChef New Zealand’ Season 5 Begins, Announces Top 15
By Anne Lu | February 3, 2014 12:28 PM EST
“MasterChef New Zealand” has commenced its fifth season on Sunday with its first ever duos competition. Hundreds of hopefuls attempted to receive a coveted apron, but only fifteen pairs were successful.
Judges Josh Emett, Simon Gault, and Ray McVinnie sampled two dishes each from the hopefuls, crushing dreams of several duos in the process when their offering didn’t impress their discerning palate.
But while there were those who went home disappointed, there were also those who were ecstatic.
“This to me is what MasterChef is about,” Gault said after sisters Kasey and Karena’s creamed paua ravioli and salted caramel fondant. “Two people from a provincial town who cook like rock stars.”
The ultimate winner, or winners in this case, will not only take the bragging rights that come with having the MasterChef New Zealand title, they will also sign an exclusive MasterChef cookbook deal as well as hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of prizes.
On Monday’s episode, Queen of Australian cookery Donna Hay returns to the MasterChef NZ kitchen to set a challenge for the contestants. Episode two will air on TV ONE at 7:30pm.
The Top 15:
Shelley Robinson and Trudie Robinson (Tauranga)
Kasey Bird and Karena Bird (Maketu)
Malenie Sim and Cerry Sim (Auckland)
Verena Doolabh and Tanisha Kemp (Melbourne and Mt Maunganui)
Fiona Marris and Bronwyn Bijl (Christchurch)
Brother and sister:
Matt Crammond and Courtney Crammond from Auckland and Christchurch
Parent and child:
Nicola Shearer and Jordan Shearer, mother and daughter from Lower Hutt
Donna-Marie Sullivan and Jonathan Odering, mother and son from Dunedin
Sam Dolbel and Collette Lochore from Waimauku
Elizabeth Marshall and Jennifer Clark, former partners from Wellington
Jaimi Stodler and Bec Stanley (Queenstown)
Thiago de Almeida Schaich and Janaina Mendes (Auckland)
Paul Harrison and Brigitte Kriehn (Auckland)
Glynn Rudolph and James Culleton (Wellington)
Catherine Chen and Jack Tan (Whakatane)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast