‘MasterChef New Zealand’ Season 5 Begins, Announces Top 15
By Anne Lu | February 3, 2014 12:28 PM EST
“MasterChef New Zealand” has commenced its fifth season on Sunday with its first ever duos competition. Hundreds of hopefuls attempted to receive a coveted apron, but only fifteen pairs were successful.
Judges Josh Emett, Simon Gault, and Ray McVinnie sampled two dishes each from the hopefuls, crushing dreams of several duos in the process when their offering didn’t impress their discerning palate.
But while there were those who went home disappointed, there were also those who were ecstatic.
“This to me is what MasterChef is about,” Gault said after sisters Kasey and Karena’s creamed paua ravioli and salted caramel fondant. “Two people from a provincial town who cook like rock stars.”
The ultimate winner, or winners in this case, will not only take the bragging rights that come with having the MasterChef New Zealand title, they will also sign an exclusive MasterChef cookbook deal as well as hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of prizes.
On Monday’s episode, Queen of Australian cookery Donna Hay returns to the MasterChef NZ kitchen to set a challenge for the contestants. Episode two will air on TV ONE at 7:30pm.
The Top 15:
Shelley Robinson and Trudie Robinson (Tauranga)
Kasey Bird and Karena Bird (Maketu)
Malenie Sim and Cerry Sim (Auckland)
Verena Doolabh and Tanisha Kemp (Melbourne and Mt Maunganui)
Fiona Marris and Bronwyn Bijl (Christchurch)
Brother and sister:
Matt Crammond and Courtney Crammond from Auckland and Christchurch
Parent and child:
Nicola Shearer and Jordan Shearer, mother and daughter from Lower Hutt
Donna-Marie Sullivan and Jonathan Odering, mother and son from Dunedin
Sam Dolbel and Collette Lochore from Waimauku
Elizabeth Marshall and Jennifer Clark, former partners from Wellington
Jaimi Stodler and Bec Stanley (Queenstown)
Thiago de Almeida Schaich and Janaina Mendes (Auckland)
Paul Harrison and Brigitte Kriehn (Auckland)
Glynn Rudolph and James Culleton (Wellington)
Catherine Chen and Jack Tan (Whakatane)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date