A Must-See: Roger Federer and Lionel Messi Star in a New Hilarious ‘Gillette’ Ad
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 3, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Two of the greatest athletes in the world, Roger Federer and Lionel Messi, are featured in Gillette's new ad. Fans of Federer and Messi will surely be delighted to see their iconic sports idols as they showcase their ability to play different kinds of sports.
Yes! Federer and Messi embarked on to various sports as they shave using country-themed razors. If you want to know how Federer looks like as a sumo wrestler, well, this is your chance to find out. The Swiss tennis athlete also tries his hand at rugby and as a soccer goalkeeper. Messi, on the other hand, takes on cricket, hockey, racing, and tennis.
Watch Federer and Messi's Gillette ad below:
Video courtesy: YouTube/GilletteLA
On Thursday, Gillette announced Messi as its new global ambassador. The Barca superstar will become the face of Gillette's new "Inner Steel" campaign. The world's leading male grooming brand has also reportedly partnered with Messi's foundation to advocate its mission.
"This is a new era for Gillette and Football," said Gillette Global vice president John Mang. "We are excited to partner with Lionel Messi and a stellar line up of world-class players and team," Mang added.
As for Messi, he was charmed to have been chosen as the Gillette's new ambassador. "Gillette is a brand that shares my resolve and determination to try to be the best," said Messi. "I know that together we can show men everywhere that the strongest performances come when you strengthen the Inner Steel inside and show your colours on the outside," he added.
This is not the first time that Federer has starred in a commercial for Gillette. He has filmed several commercials for the said male grooming brand. It is just one of Federer's sponsors alongside Nike, Wilson, Rolex, Mercedes Benz, Lindt, Credit Suisse, National Suisse, Moet & Chandon, and Jura Elektroapparate. The prize money he gets tennis tournaments and his sponsor deals make him the highest-paid athlete in tennis as of 2013.
Here's a look at some of Federer's previous ads for Gillette:
Video courtesy: YouTube/Glen Gabriel
Athletes in commercials are often unnatural but hilarious. Big companies and other advertisers often get the most successful athletes to promote their products, and usually, the same ones turn up in commercials year after year. What do you think of Federer and Messi's Gillette ad?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More