NBA Trade News: Russell Westbrook to NY Knicks, Tyson Chandler to OKC Thunder; Blockbuster Deal That Should Happen Before Trade Deadline
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 3, 2014 11:41 AM EST
The Oklahoma City Thunder and the New York Knicks, two teams heading into different paths, could explore a blockbuster deal that would plug in the loopholes in their roster before the Feb 20 trade deadline.
Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook to NY Knicks?
According to Latino Post, the Thunder-Knicks deal will surely be the biggest trade this season, if both teams are going to be "bold" enough to pull it off.
The Thunder have been the beast of the West, holding the best record in the conference despite dealing with the extended absence of point guard Russell Westbrook and pressure from a handful contenders such as the San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Clippers, Houston Rockets and the Golden State Warriors.
Kevin Durant's inspired play this season is the top reason behind the Thunder's resurgence, while Reggie Jackson's improvement as a serviceable point guard also contributed to their recent success.
On the other hand, the Knicks are still fighting to make it in the postseason for the fourth straight time, but injuries to their key players and inconsistency have really made things tough for this underachieving ball club.
Carmelo Anthony remains a top-flight scorer, but the possibility of leaving the Big Apple as he become an unrestricted free-agent this coming summer becomes clearer for the Knickerbockers as days pass by.
Yahoo Sports NBA writer Del Pearson provided a very intriguing trade scenario the Thunder and the Knicks should consider. In the proposed deal, the Knicks will have a chance to address the loophole in their backcourt, particularly at the point. Meanwhile, the Thunder can solidify their defense by adding an athletic rim protector to replace flat-footed Kendrick Perkins.
"The Knicks' struggles can be easily fixed by addressing two main issues: an unhealthy frontcourt and inconsistent point-guard play. Both of these issues can be addressed in one fell swoop by acquiring Russell Westbrook from the Oklahoma City Thunder," Pearson stressed.
Pearson's Trade Proposal: Knicks receive Westbrook, Perkins and future second-round pick, while Thunder gets Tyson Chandler, Iman Shumpert, Raymond Felton and the ability to swap future first-round picks.
Westbrook is without a doubt one of the best playmakers in the league. However, the vast improvement in Durant's game has apparently offset his absence, and the Thunder front office understands this for sure. Trading Westbrook would allow the small-market team to save more money and surround Durant with players who suit with the superstar's evolving game.
Meanwhile, the arrival of Westbrook in New York City will give Anthony a reason to stay put with the Knicks. The Anthony-Westbrook duo is certainly a good start to build a championship contender, and it's up to the ownership to provide the pieces that would make them a team to be reckoned with in future campaigns.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate