Floyd Mayweather to Reveal Next Opponent After Super Bowl 2014
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 3, 2014 11:38 AM EST
Boxing fans' long wait may soon be over because Floyd Mayweather is reportedly going to announce his next opponent after Super Bowl 2014.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
ThaBoxingVoice reported that Mayweather is currently attending to a lot of things going on in his life. According to Sam Watson, an associate of Mayweather's adviser Al Haymon, the undefeated boxer is just taking his sweet time at the moment. He has reportedly been working out and training at the gym. He has also been participating in charity activities as well as joining various activities here and there. He recently visited South Africa to promote the sports of boxing in the nation. Nevertheless, it is anticipated that the Mayweather will be announcing the identity of his next opponent for his May 3 fight sometime after the winner of Super Bowl 2014 is revealed.
"Floyd is taking his time," Watson told ThaBoxingVoice. "He will be picking his fighter after the Super Bowl," he added. "So next week, you should hear something from Floyd's camp," said Watson. He revealed to the boxing Web site that Mayweather is getting ready even though there were a lot of commitments and appearances that he had to make. "Mayweather, he is getting ready," he said. "He is at the Super Bowl so he is having a good time every day, taking care doing a lot of benefits for kids now, "Kids With Cancer," doing a big celebrity basketball game over the holidays in LA," he added.
There were several opponents that have already been named for Mayweather's next fight. However, the only fighters that he mentioned in a press conference during his recent trip to South Africa were Britain's Amir Khan and Argentina's Marcos Maidana. Khan has already said that he had signed a contract to fight Mayweather and that he was only waiting for the American boxer to sign the fight contract.
Who do you want Mayweather to fight next?
Mayweather's decision to announce his next opponent after the Super Bowl 2014 is a smart move. Right now, the attention of sports fans is on the big game between the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks. Mayweather would want to let the Super Bowl hype simmer down so all the attention will be focused on him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS