Floyd Mayweather to Reveal Next Opponent After Super Bowl 2014
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 3, 2014 11:38 AM EST
Boxing fans' long wait may soon be over because Floyd Mayweather is reportedly going to announce his next opponent after Super Bowl 2014.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
ThaBoxingVoice reported that Mayweather is currently attending to a lot of things going on in his life. According to Sam Watson, an associate of Mayweather's adviser Al Haymon, the undefeated boxer is just taking his sweet time at the moment. He has reportedly been working out and training at the gym. He has also been participating in charity activities as well as joining various activities here and there. He recently visited South Africa to promote the sports of boxing in the nation. Nevertheless, it is anticipated that the Mayweather will be announcing the identity of his next opponent for his May 3 fight sometime after the winner of Super Bowl 2014 is revealed.
"Floyd is taking his time," Watson told ThaBoxingVoice. "He will be picking his fighter after the Super Bowl," he added. "So next week, you should hear something from Floyd's camp," said Watson. He revealed to the boxing Web site that Mayweather is getting ready even though there were a lot of commitments and appearances that he had to make. "Mayweather, he is getting ready," he said. "He is at the Super Bowl so he is having a good time every day, taking care doing a lot of benefits for kids now, "Kids With Cancer," doing a big celebrity basketball game over the holidays in LA," he added.
There were several opponents that have already been named for Mayweather's next fight. However, the only fighters that he mentioned in a press conference during his recent trip to South Africa were Britain's Amir Khan and Argentina's Marcos Maidana. Khan has already said that he had signed a contract to fight Mayweather and that he was only waiting for the American boxer to sign the fight contract.
Who do you want Mayweather to fight next?
Mayweather's decision to announce his next opponent after the Super Bowl 2014 is a smart move. Right now, the attention of sports fans is on the big game between the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks. Mayweather would want to let the Super Bowl hype simmer down so all the attention will be focused on him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans