Floyd Mayweather to Reveal Next Opponent After Super Bowl 2014
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 3, 2014 11:38 AM EST
Boxing fans' long wait may soon be over because Floyd Mayweather is reportedly going to announce his next opponent after Super Bowl 2014.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
ThaBoxingVoice reported that Mayweather is currently attending to a lot of things going on in his life. According to Sam Watson, an associate of Mayweather's adviser Al Haymon, the undefeated boxer is just taking his sweet time at the moment. He has reportedly been working out and training at the gym. He has also been participating in charity activities as well as joining various activities here and there. He recently visited South Africa to promote the sports of boxing in the nation. Nevertheless, it is anticipated that the Mayweather will be announcing the identity of his next opponent for his May 3 fight sometime after the winner of Super Bowl 2014 is revealed.
"Floyd is taking his time," Watson told ThaBoxingVoice. "He will be picking his fighter after the Super Bowl," he added. "So next week, you should hear something from Floyd's camp," said Watson. He revealed to the boxing Web site that Mayweather is getting ready even though there were a lot of commitments and appearances that he had to make. "Mayweather, he is getting ready," he said. "He is at the Super Bowl so he is having a good time every day, taking care doing a lot of benefits for kids now, "Kids With Cancer," doing a big celebrity basketball game over the holidays in LA," he added.
There were several opponents that have already been named for Mayweather's next fight. However, the only fighters that he mentioned in a press conference during his recent trip to South Africa were Britain's Amir Khan and Argentina's Marcos Maidana. Khan has already said that he had signed a contract to fight Mayweather and that he was only waiting for the American boxer to sign the fight contract.
Who do you want Mayweather to fight next?
Mayweather's decision to announce his next opponent after the Super Bowl 2014 is a smart move. Right now, the attention of sports fans is on the big game between the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks. Mayweather would want to let the Super Bowl hype simmer down so all the attention will be focused on him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report