Floyd Mayweather to Reveal Next Opponent After Super Bowl 2014
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 3, 2014 11:38 AM EST
Boxing fans' long wait may soon be over because Floyd Mayweather is reportedly going to announce his next opponent after Super Bowl 2014.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
ThaBoxingVoice reported that Mayweather is currently attending to a lot of things going on in his life. According to Sam Watson, an associate of Mayweather's adviser Al Haymon, the undefeated boxer is just taking his sweet time at the moment. He has reportedly been working out and training at the gym. He has also been participating in charity activities as well as joining various activities here and there. He recently visited South Africa to promote the sports of boxing in the nation. Nevertheless, it is anticipated that the Mayweather will be announcing the identity of his next opponent for his May 3 fight sometime after the winner of Super Bowl 2014 is revealed.
"Floyd is taking his time," Watson told ThaBoxingVoice. "He will be picking his fighter after the Super Bowl," he added. "So next week, you should hear something from Floyd's camp," said Watson. He revealed to the boxing Web site that Mayweather is getting ready even though there were a lot of commitments and appearances that he had to make. "Mayweather, he is getting ready," he said. "He is at the Super Bowl so he is having a good time every day, taking care doing a lot of benefits for kids now, "Kids With Cancer," doing a big celebrity basketball game over the holidays in LA," he added.
There were several opponents that have already been named for Mayweather's next fight. However, the only fighters that he mentioned in a press conference during his recent trip to South Africa were Britain's Amir Khan and Argentina's Marcos Maidana. Khan has already said that he had signed a contract to fight Mayweather and that he was only waiting for the American boxer to sign the fight contract.
Who do you want Mayweather to fight next?
Mayweather's decision to announce his next opponent after the Super Bowl 2014 is a smart move. Right now, the attention of sports fans is on the big game between the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks. Mayweather would want to let the Super Bowl hype simmer down so all the attention will be focused on him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29