More Males Becoming Victims to Violent Sexual Assaults
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 3, 2014 10:55 AM EST
File Picture - Syrian Mass Massacre Claims 200 Lives
Court of Queen’s Bench Judge Finds 67-Year-Old Winnipeg Orthodox Archbishop Guilty of Sexual Assault of Canadian Boy in 1985
More males are becoming victim of violent sexual assaults. According to the New Zealand Police, in the past five years, the number of such type of sex assaults have jumped to 710 from 480.
The increase is about 50 per cent, while for female victims, the hike is by about 33 per cent.
Authorities partly explain the big jump to more victims finding the confidence to open up about their experience. Previously, male victims kept silent because of fear, shame and belief they could be blamed.
Ken Clearwater, national manager of Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Trust, said the big change in attitude toward males as victims of sexual violence, particularly among police, noting that two or three years ago, men who complain of being victims of that type of crime would have been laughed out of the police station.
He said that half of the survivors had women as their tormentors.
Because of the trauma, some of the victims turned to substance abuse or suicide.
A number of the victims are young boys, who have recently grouped together to secure treatment for the trauma, mostly under the hands of paedophile William Goad.
Others are victims of the military.
The group has also been working with Steve Bevan of the Adult Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse which has over 23 years experience of conducting workshops globally with male survivors.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate