More Males Becoming Victims to Violent Sexual Assaults
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 3, 2014 10:55 AM EST
File Picture - Syrian Mass Massacre Claims 200 Lives
Court of Queen’s Bench Judge Finds 67-Year-Old Winnipeg Orthodox Archbishop Guilty of Sexual Assault of Canadian Boy in 1985
More males are becoming victim of violent sexual assaults. According to the New Zealand Police, in the past five years, the number of such type of sex assaults have jumped to 710 from 480.
The increase is about 50 per cent, while for female victims, the hike is by about 33 per cent.
Authorities partly explain the big jump to more victims finding the confidence to open up about their experience. Previously, male victims kept silent because of fear, shame and belief they could be blamed.
Ken Clearwater, national manager of Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Trust, said the big change in attitude toward males as victims of sexual violence, particularly among police, noting that two or three years ago, men who complain of being victims of that type of crime would have been laughed out of the police station.
He said that half of the survivors had women as their tormentors.
Because of the trauma, some of the victims turned to substance abuse or suicide.
A number of the victims are young boys, who have recently grouped together to secure treatment for the trauma, mostly under the hands of paedophile William Goad.
Others are victims of the military.
The group has also been working with Steve Bevan of the Adult Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse which has over 23 years experience of conducting workshops globally with male survivors.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies