More Males Becoming Victims to Violent Sexual Assaults
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 3, 2014 10:55 AM EST
File Picture - Syrian Mass Massacre Claims 200 Lives
Court of Queen’s Bench Judge Finds 67-Year-Old Winnipeg Orthodox Archbishop Guilty of Sexual Assault of Canadian Boy in 1985
More males are becoming victim of violent sexual assaults. According to the New Zealand Police, in the past five years, the number of such type of sex assaults have jumped to 710 from 480.
The increase is about 50 per cent, while for female victims, the hike is by about 33 per cent.
Authorities partly explain the big jump to more victims finding the confidence to open up about their experience. Previously, male victims kept silent because of fear, shame and belief they could be blamed.
Ken Clearwater, national manager of Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Trust, said the big change in attitude toward males as victims of sexual violence, particularly among police, noting that two or three years ago, men who complain of being victims of that type of crime would have been laughed out of the police station.
He said that half of the survivors had women as their tormentors.
Because of the trauma, some of the victims turned to substance abuse or suicide.
A number of the victims are young boys, who have recently grouped together to secure treatment for the trauma, mostly under the hands of paedophile William Goad.
Others are victims of the military.
The group has also been working with Steve Bevan of the Adult Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse which has over 23 years experience of conducting workshops globally with male survivors.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced