More Males Becoming Victims to Violent Sexual Assaults
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 3, 2014 10:55 AM EST
File Picture - Syrian Mass Massacre Claims 200 Lives
Court of Queen’s Bench Judge Finds 67-Year-Old Winnipeg Orthodox Archbishop Guilty of Sexual Assault of Canadian Boy in 1985
More males are becoming victim of violent sexual assaults. According to the New Zealand Police, in the past five years, the number of such type of sex assaults have jumped to 710 from 480.
The increase is about 50 per cent, while for female victims, the hike is by about 33 per cent.
Authorities partly explain the big jump to more victims finding the confidence to open up about their experience. Previously, male victims kept silent because of fear, shame and belief they could be blamed.
Ken Clearwater, national manager of Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Trust, said the big change in attitude toward males as victims of sexual violence, particularly among police, noting that two or three years ago, men who complain of being victims of that type of crime would have been laughed out of the police station.
He said that half of the survivors had women as their tormentors.
Because of the trauma, some of the victims turned to substance abuse or suicide.
A number of the victims are young boys, who have recently grouped together to secure treatment for the trauma, mostly under the hands of paedophile William Goad.
Others are victims of the military.
The group has also been working with Steve Bevan of the Adult Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse which has over 23 years experience of conducting workshops globally with male survivors.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best