NZ War of the Brothels: Calendar Girls Tries to Stop Chow Brothers From Moving into Auckland
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 3, 2014 10:46 AM EST
While the Auckland Police and the Auckland Medical Office of Health has not objected to the application by the Chow brothers for the renewal of the licence of their Penthouse Club and adjoining brothel Galaxy Club and application for a new licence of strip bar Mermaids and brothel Splash Club, a rival company tried to block the applications.
Sixteen-year-old prostitute Maya stands in the doorway of her small room at Kandapara brothel in Tangail, a northeastern city of Bangladesh
Rent-a-Boyfriend for 1 Day Solves Problem of Single Chinese Women Who Need Date for New Year Family Gatherings
The objection by Calendar Girls owner Jacqui Le Prou is that Auckland doesn't need additional strip clubs. Ms Le Prou said, quoted by Herald on Sunday, "I know of clubs that are struggling ... They Chows are playing Monopoly - whether it's pulling a building down or stopping someone from getting a licence, they will take over. So look out Auckland, look out Hamilton."
Six women provided evidence to block the Chow's licence applications. One of them, a professional dancer who has worked in New Zealand, Australia and the U.S. for about a decade in such sleazy joints, alleged that the Chow brothers, Michael and John, allow higher intoxication levels compared to clubs she was worked in the three countries. They added female workers were attacked, the staff got drunk to finish their shift and the brothers didn't care about the working conditions in their establishments.
It seems that Ms Le Prou is just returning what the Chows did to her in 2012 when the brothers successfully blocked her application to renew the alcohol licence of Calendar Girls in Wellington, resulting in Ms Le Prou being allowed to sell her clients in Wellington only beer with an alcohol level of 1 per cent.
This time in her turf, Auckland, Ms Le Prou claimed the patrons in Chow's bars were allowed to be excessively intoxicated, were intentionally overcharged and sexual assaults against employees were not reported to authorities.
The Chows are immigrants from Hong Kong in 1984 who own 70 per cent of the sex trade business in New Zealand's capital city. They had since expanded to the financial capital of the country, Auckland, with stripclubs and prostitution houses on Gore St and Karangahape Road.
The brothers have an estimated wealth of $50 each, resulting them being included in the NBR Rich List for the first time in 2013. John controls the Auckland business, while Michael runs the Wellington enterprises.
The court reserved its decision on the licence applications of the Chows.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales