Record Dairy Prices, $10B Milk Export to China Boost NZ Economy, While Australia’s Limps
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 3, 2014 10:38 AM EST
Fonterra and China's milk industry (Reuters).
YouTube/The Best Finance
Neighbours Down Under Australia and New Zealand are currently studies in contrast, insofar as their economies are concerned.
While New Zealand, the smaller of the two economies, is growing dynamically and has been described as the Rock Star of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Australia's economic is limping.
While Australia survived the 2008 global financial crisis unscathed, New Zealand suffered from 18 months of recession, followed by a very strong tremor that leveled the second largest city of Christchurch in 2011.
However, 2014 is the turning point for New Zealand which is riding high on healthy dairy prices, its currency almost at parity with the Australian dollar and a construction and jobs boom as the country emerges from the earthquake ruins.
A boon to New Zealand is China, which just months ago banned milk exports from New Zealand over the botulism scare in Fonterra. China is New Zealand's top export markets for milk worth $10 billion, a 45 per cent jump from 2013 level.
As a result, New Zealand enjoyed a trade surplus of $523 million in December, mainly due to larger volume of milk exports to China, primarily milk powder.
For the same year, New Zealand's exports to Australia - which used to be its top market - went down about 8 per cent of $775 million as sales of cure oil went down, so yearly exports to Oz has returned to $9.1 billion.
Saul Eslake, chief economist at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, warned that the limp of the Australian economy is expected to continue as its mining export boom winds down, while its dairy production has contracted in the past 10 years due to drought and high wages.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories