Pope Francis Officially a Pop Icon after Rolling Stone Cover [PHOTOS]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 3, 2014 2:56 AM EST
Pope Francis is fast turning into a pop icon. The news is official now as the head of Catholic church will be featured alongside the icons of American popular culture, on the Rolling Stone magazine.
The Rolling Stone cover on Pope Francis will hit the newsstands on 13 February, the coming Friday. However, Mark Binelli's 8,000-word story only solidifies the increasing fan-base of Pope Benedict XVI.
Adapting the title from a Bob Dylan song, the Rolling Stone story “Pope Francis: The Times They are A-Changin’ investigates what makes Pope Francis different from other vatican pontiffs.
The Argentine-born pope, who took office in March last year, has been gaining acceptance the world over.
He also has featured as Time magazine's 'Person of the Year'. The article in Time stated: "Pope Francis, The People's Pope - He took the name of a humble saint and then called for a church of healing. The first non-European pope in 1,200 years is poised to transform a place that measures change by the century."
Vanity Fair Italia also named him 'Man of the Year'. The cover story on Pope Francis noted: "His first one hundred days have already placed him in the category of world leaders who make history. But the revolution continues."
The New Yorker also put him on the cover following his nomination as Time's 'Person of the Year'.
The New Yorker story on Pope Francis observed: "'Who am I to judge?'With those five words, spoken in late July in reply to a reporter's question about the status of gay priests in the Church, Pope Francis stepped away from the disapproving tone, the explicit moralizing typical of Popes and bishops. This gesture of openness, which startled the Catholic world, would prove not to be an isolated event. In a series of interviews and speeches in the first few months after his election, in March, the Pope unilaterally declared a kind of truce in the culture wars that have divided the Vatican and much of the world."
The head of Vatican and Catholic church also has made it on the cover of The Advocate, an LGBT-focused magazine, that featured him as 'Person of the Year' for his landmark statement: "If someone is gay and seeks the Lord with good will, who am I to judge?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- Wildfires in Canada & U.S. ‘Still Active’
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time