Pope Francis Officially a Pop Icon after Rolling Stone Cover [PHOTOS]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 3, 2014 2:56 AM EST
Pope Francis is fast turning into a pop icon. The news is official now as the head of Catholic church will be featured alongside the icons of American popular culture, on the Rolling Stone magazine.
The Rolling Stone cover on Pope Francis will hit the newsstands on 13 February, the coming Friday. However, Mark Binelli's 8,000-word story only solidifies the increasing fan-base of Pope Benedict XVI.
Adapting the title from a Bob Dylan song, the Rolling Stone story “Pope Francis: The Times They are A-Changin’ investigates what makes Pope Francis different from other vatican pontiffs.
The Argentine-born pope, who took office in March last year, has been gaining acceptance the world over.
He also has featured as Time magazine's 'Person of the Year'. The article in Time stated: "Pope Francis, The People's Pope - He took the name of a humble saint and then called for a church of healing. The first non-European pope in 1,200 years is poised to transform a place that measures change by the century."
Vanity Fair Italia also named him 'Man of the Year'. The cover story on Pope Francis noted: "His first one hundred days have already placed him in the category of world leaders who make history. But the revolution continues."
The New Yorker also put him on the cover following his nomination as Time's 'Person of the Year'.
The New Yorker story on Pope Francis observed: "'Who am I to judge?'With those five words, spoken in late July in reply to a reporter's question about the status of gay priests in the Church, Pope Francis stepped away from the disapproving tone, the explicit moralizing typical of Popes and bishops. This gesture of openness, which startled the Catholic world, would prove not to be an isolated event. In a series of interviews and speeches in the first few months after his election, in March, the Pope unilaterally declared a kind of truce in the culture wars that have divided the Vatican and much of the world."
The head of Vatican and Catholic church also has made it on the cover of The Advocate, an LGBT-focused magazine, that featured him as 'Person of the Year' for his landmark statement: "If someone is gay and seeks the Lord with good will, who am I to judge?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar