Pope Francis Officially a Pop Icon after Rolling Stone Cover [PHOTOS]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 3, 2014 2:56 AM EST
Pope Francis is fast turning into a pop icon. The news is official now as the head of Catholic church will be featured alongside the icons of American popular culture, on the Rolling Stone magazine.
The Rolling Stone cover on Pope Francis will hit the newsstands on 13 February, the coming Friday. However, Mark Binelli's 8,000-word story only solidifies the increasing fan-base of Pope Benedict XVI.
Adapting the title from a Bob Dylan song, the Rolling Stone story “Pope Francis: The Times They are A-Changin’ investigates what makes Pope Francis different from other vatican pontiffs.
The Argentine-born pope, who took office in March last year, has been gaining acceptance the world over.
He also has featured as Time magazine's 'Person of the Year'. The article in Time stated: "Pope Francis, The People's Pope - He took the name of a humble saint and then called for a church of healing. The first non-European pope in 1,200 years is poised to transform a place that measures change by the century."
Vanity Fair Italia also named him 'Man of the Year'. The cover story on Pope Francis noted: "His first one hundred days have already placed him in the category of world leaders who make history. But the revolution continues."
The New Yorker also put him on the cover following his nomination as Time's 'Person of the Year'.
The New Yorker story on Pope Francis observed: "'Who am I to judge?'With those five words, spoken in late July in reply to a reporter's question about the status of gay priests in the Church, Pope Francis stepped away from the disapproving tone, the explicit moralizing typical of Popes and bishops. This gesture of openness, which startled the Catholic world, would prove not to be an isolated event. In a series of interviews and speeches in the first few months after his election, in March, the Pope unilaterally declared a kind of truce in the culture wars that have divided the Vatican and much of the world."
The head of Vatican and Catholic church also has made it on the cover of The Advocate, an LGBT-focused magazine, that featured him as 'Person of the Year' for his landmark statement: "If someone is gay and seeks the Lord with good will, who am I to judge?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones