Nipplegate: Janet Jackson’s Wardrobe Malfunction Remembered on its 10th Anniversary [VIDEO]
By Keerthi Mohan | February 3, 2014 1:46 AM EST
As America gears up for Super Bowl XLVIII on Sunday, many are taking a moment to remember “Nipplegate” - Janet Jackson’s wardrobe malfunction in 2004 at Super Bowl XXXVIII - which marks its 10th anniversary this year.
At the event, Justin Timberlake was joined Jackson on stage to perform his solo “Rock Your Body,” and, at the end of the performance, he yanked the garment covering Jackson’s right breast. The breast was exposed for nine-sixteenths of a second, and it made Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show go down in history.
"Justin was supposed to pull away the rubber bustier to reveal a red lace bra," Jackson's rep said at the time, according to E!News. "The garment collapsed and her breast was accidentally revealed."
Jackson took up the responsibility for the act, and even released a video to apologize for the wardrobe malfunction. Soon after the event, the Federal Communications Commission received 540,000 indecency complaints about the incident.
"My decision to change the Super Bowl performance was made after the final rehearsal,” she said. “MTV, CBS [and] the NFL had no knowledge of this whatsoever and unfortunately, the whole thing went wrong in the end. I am really sorry if I offended anyone. That was truly not my intention."
According to reports, the malfunction nearly cost Jackson her music career. While Timberlake’s career took off, Jackson’s suffered, especially with many networks blacklisting the singer, ESPN reported.
Jackson spoke about the scandal to Oprah Winfrey in 2006, and said that she has not spoken to Timberlake since the incident, though he has "reached out to speak with me."
She also insisted that the act was accidental: "So much more important things were going on in the world. And the focus was on my breast? That didn't make any sense to me," Jackson said at the time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal