Super Bowl XLVIII: Game Time Terror Threat Real? Security Updates, Game Time, Weather Forecast [Photos]
By Johnlee Varghese | February 2, 2014 11:46 PM EST
It's game time, the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks are both ready for the play-offs and over a million fans are expected to watch the NFL Super Bowl on Sunday. But as the game time grows closer, reports of a terror threat are doing the rounds.
The Reuters reported that possible "bomb attacks of the kind that tore through mass transit sites in Russia ahead of the upcoming Sochi Olympics are a top concern of security officials preparing for Sunday's Super Bowl."
Similarly, a report on Truther.org claimed that Live Nuclear/Bio-Terror Attack Planned for New York City during Super Bowl XLVIII on 2 February 2014.
The report concludes that three incidents took place in the US this year, which were all possible terror plots. The first incident of a possible terror plot took place on 31 January, following which the FBI is on the lookout for three men, who used a bio-chemical to disable the guards and then robbed an armored truck. The terrorists are still believed to be on the loose in New York. The MetLife stadium, where the NFL game will be held is located about 10 miles west of New York City, the site of the 9/11 attacks.
Another major incident that points to be a possible 9/11-like terror attack, the Truther.org notes came on 1 February, when two airliners were grounded due to 'smoke' issue. The Truther report believes that the planes may have been part of a terror plot and were taken out by the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), after the plot was revealed.
As per Reuters, which quoted New York Police Department Commissioner William Bratton, the authorities are specifically being extra alert on a mass transit type of attack.
Over one million people are expected to be visiting the Super Bowl XLVII venue, though only 80,000 will get to see the match between the Seahawks and the Broncos.
Another major worry for the security agencies monitoring the NFL Super Bowl 2014 are the Lone Wolves or a Lone Wolf, who may be operating independently. The Boston Marathon bombing, which was the handy work of Lone Wolves, on 15 April 2013 killed three people and injured 264. For the last week, MetLife has been under close security watch, while agencies have been preparing against any possible attack scenario.
Security Measure at the MetLife Stadium
- The security gates will open at 2 pm on Sunday, four hours prior the game. The visitors will have to pass through the security cordon, metal detectors and patdowns.
- Security officials will be monitoring live feeds through cameras.
- Parking around the stadium has been limited.
- People arriving through rail and buses are being monitored.
- Buses and trains towards Metlife will not allow anyone to travel without NFL Super Bowl tickets.
Temperature on Sunday during the games could drop to minus two Celsius.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales