‘Jai Ho’ Box Office: Reasons Why Salman Starrer Failed to Break Records
By Ankita Mehta | February 2, 2014 9:11 PM EST
"Jai Ho", one of the most awaited films of the year, has failed to create magic at the box office. Salman Khan's film came after a gap of 12 months, and so it was expected to break records and join the ₹200 crore club.
Jai Ho Official Twitter
Jai Ho Poster
But looking at the first week total, it would be difficult for the film to touch even the ₹150 crore mark.
The box office performance of "Jai Ho" has not been like his previous releases. The film, which is a remake of Telugu flick "Stalin", will now touch the ₹100 crore mark, only after adding the second Sunday's total.
Till its second Saturday, the film has reached a total of ₹96.68 crore, according to trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
"#JaiHo [Week 2] Fri 3.40 cr, Sat 4.50+ cr. Grand total: ₹ 96.68 cr. Estimates only, actuals on Mon," he tweeted.
Despite starring Salman, known as the box office king, the film failed to achieve big numbers like "Dhoom 3" and "Chennai Express". So why is "Jai Ho" collection not as good as Salman's past few releases.
Ticket Price: Unlike films like "Chennai Express", "Krrish 3" and "Dhoom 3", which crossed the double century mark, "Jai Ho" ticket prices were not hiked for the initial days. Due to normal ticket prices, the box office income was quite low, compared to Salman's previous films.
Music: Hit songs play an important role in a film having a good box office run. "Yaariyan" was panned by critics but it became a semi-hit due to its music. Salman has given hit songs in his previous releases but "Jai Ho" music failed to pick up, as only two songs did well.
Promotion: The film's promotions started only some 20-25 days before its release. The short duration of pre-release promotion ultimately affected the business.
New Actress: Absence of a prominent leading lady was also one of the major reasons for the average performance of "Jai Ho". New comer Daisy Shah failed to generate the craze that other leading actresses do.
Non-holiday release: The film had a non-holiday release, due to which the opening day collection was low. Even the Republic Day holiday fell on Sunday, because of which the film never got the chance to score big on a weekday.
High Expectations: Since Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan's new films crossed ₹200 crore mark, the pressure was high on the Salman flick to break records.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage