‘Jai Ho’ Box Office: Reasons Why Salman Starrer Failed to Break Records
By Ankita Mehta | February 2, 2014 9:11 PM EST
"Jai Ho", one of the most awaited films of the year, has failed to create magic at the box office. Salman Khan's film came after a gap of 12 months, and so it was expected to break records and join the ₹200 crore club.
Jai Ho Official Twitter
Jai Ho Poster
But looking at the first week total, it would be difficult for the film to touch even the ₹150 crore mark.
The box office performance of "Jai Ho" has not been like his previous releases. The film, which is a remake of Telugu flick "Stalin", will now touch the ₹100 crore mark, only after adding the second Sunday's total.
Till its second Saturday, the film has reached a total of ₹96.68 crore, according to trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
"#JaiHo [Week 2] Fri 3.40 cr, Sat 4.50+ cr. Grand total: ₹ 96.68 cr. Estimates only, actuals on Mon," he tweeted.
Despite starring Salman, known as the box office king, the film failed to achieve big numbers like "Dhoom 3" and "Chennai Express". So why is "Jai Ho" collection not as good as Salman's past few releases.
Ticket Price: Unlike films like "Chennai Express", "Krrish 3" and "Dhoom 3", which crossed the double century mark, "Jai Ho" ticket prices were not hiked for the initial days. Due to normal ticket prices, the box office income was quite low, compared to Salman's previous films.
Music: Hit songs play an important role in a film having a good box office run. "Yaariyan" was panned by critics but it became a semi-hit due to its music. Salman has given hit songs in his previous releases but "Jai Ho" music failed to pick up, as only two songs did well.
Promotion: The film's promotions started only some 20-25 days before its release. The short duration of pre-release promotion ultimately affected the business.
New Actress: Absence of a prominent leading lady was also one of the major reasons for the average performance of "Jai Ho". New comer Daisy Shah failed to generate the craze that other leading actresses do.
Non-holiday release: The film had a non-holiday release, due to which the opening day collection was low. Even the Republic Day holiday fell on Sunday, because of which the film never got the chance to score big on a weekday.
High Expectations: Since Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan's new films crossed ₹200 crore mark, the pressure was high on the Salman flick to break records.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best