‘Jai Ho’ Box Office: Reasons Why Salman Starrer Failed to Break Records
By Ankita Mehta | February 2, 2014 9:11 PM EST
"Jai Ho", one of the most awaited films of the year, has failed to create magic at the box office. Salman Khan's film came after a gap of 12 months, and so it was expected to break records and join the ₹200 crore club.
Jai Ho Official Twitter
Jai Ho Poster
But looking at the first week total, it would be difficult for the film to touch even the ₹150 crore mark.
The box office performance of "Jai Ho" has not been like his previous releases. The film, which is a remake of Telugu flick "Stalin", will now touch the ₹100 crore mark, only after adding the second Sunday's total.
Till its second Saturday, the film has reached a total of ₹96.68 crore, according to trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
"#JaiHo [Week 2] Fri 3.40 cr, Sat 4.50+ cr. Grand total: ₹ 96.68 cr. Estimates only, actuals on Mon," he tweeted.
Despite starring Salman, known as the box office king, the film failed to achieve big numbers like "Dhoom 3" and "Chennai Express". So why is "Jai Ho" collection not as good as Salman's past few releases.
Ticket Price: Unlike films like "Chennai Express", "Krrish 3" and "Dhoom 3", which crossed the double century mark, "Jai Ho" ticket prices were not hiked for the initial days. Due to normal ticket prices, the box office income was quite low, compared to Salman's previous films.
Music: Hit songs play an important role in a film having a good box office run. "Yaariyan" was panned by critics but it became a semi-hit due to its music. Salman has given hit songs in his previous releases but "Jai Ho" music failed to pick up, as only two songs did well.
Promotion: The film's promotions started only some 20-25 days before its release. The short duration of pre-release promotion ultimately affected the business.
New Actress: Absence of a prominent leading lady was also one of the major reasons for the average performance of "Jai Ho". New comer Daisy Shah failed to generate the craze that other leading actresses do.
Non-holiday release: The film had a non-holiday release, due to which the opening day collection was low. Even the Republic Day holiday fell on Sunday, because of which the film never got the chance to score big on a weekday.
High Expectations: Since Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan's new films crossed ₹200 crore mark, the pressure was high on the Salman flick to break records.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop