‘Jai Ho’ Box Office: Reasons Why Salman Starrer Failed to Break Records
By Ankita Mehta | February 2, 2014 9:11 PM EST
"Jai Ho", one of the most awaited films of the year, has failed to create magic at the box office. Salman Khan's film came after a gap of 12 months, and so it was expected to break records and join the ₹200 crore club.
Jai Ho Official Twitter
Jai Ho Poster
But looking at the first week total, it would be difficult for the film to touch even the ₹150 crore mark.
The box office performance of "Jai Ho" has not been like his previous releases. The film, which is a remake of Telugu flick "Stalin", will now touch the ₹100 crore mark, only after adding the second Sunday's total.
Till its second Saturday, the film has reached a total of ₹96.68 crore, according to trade analyst Taran Adarsh.
"#JaiHo [Week 2] Fri 3.40 cr, Sat 4.50+ cr. Grand total: ₹ 96.68 cr. Estimates only, actuals on Mon," he tweeted.
Despite starring Salman, known as the box office king, the film failed to achieve big numbers like "Dhoom 3" and "Chennai Express". So why is "Jai Ho" collection not as good as Salman's past few releases.
Ticket Price: Unlike films like "Chennai Express", "Krrish 3" and "Dhoom 3", which crossed the double century mark, "Jai Ho" ticket prices were not hiked for the initial days. Due to normal ticket prices, the box office income was quite low, compared to Salman's previous films.
Music: Hit songs play an important role in a film having a good box office run. "Yaariyan" was panned by critics but it became a semi-hit due to its music. Salman has given hit songs in his previous releases but "Jai Ho" music failed to pick up, as only two songs did well.
Promotion: The film's promotions started only some 20-25 days before its release. The short duration of pre-release promotion ultimately affected the business.
New Actress: Absence of a prominent leading lady was also one of the major reasons for the average performance of "Jai Ho". New comer Daisy Shah failed to generate the craze that other leading actresses do.
Non-holiday release: The film had a non-holiday release, due to which the opening day collection was low. Even the Republic Day holiday fell on Sunday, because of which the film never got the chance to score big on a weekday.
High Expectations: Since Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan's new films crossed ₹200 crore mark, the pressure was high on the Salman flick to break records.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans