Liverpool FC Transfer News: Why Reds Failed to Land Ukranian Target
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 2, 2014 5:10 AM EST
Liverpool was on the verge of signing Ukranian playmaker Yevhen Konoplyanka on the final day of the January transfer window, but things did not turn out as expected.
Liverpool fails to land Ukranian Yevhen Konoplyanka
Arsenal FC Transfer News: Schalke Intends to Keep Draxler, but a ‘Serious Offer’ Might Change Their Stance
Everything seemed on course as the Dnipro man has already agreed with the Reds on personal terms back then, while passing the required medical test.
Moreover, the Merseyside-based outfit activated the 24-year-old's release clause, with only the finalization left to be dealt with.
To their dismay, however, Dnipro president Ihor Kolomoyskyi called the deal off.
Oliver Cabrera, who runs OML Sports and Marketing - Konoplyanka's agent, confirmed the aforementioned cancellation by the club chairman.
"We have a very good relationship with the president Kolomoyskyi and he doesn't want to sell the player," said Cabrera.
"Yehven and his father respect that, so a move is very unlikely,"
Meanwhile, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers remains positive in spite of not having to land a reinforcement that could help his squad, at the very least, clinch a Champions League spot.
"Of course, as a manager you would like to have strengthened - but I'm very optimistic with the group of players I still have available here," said Rodgers.
"If we can keep those players fit, and maximise the availability for the rest of the season, we can have a great chance to have a really good finish."
Can the Reds still challenge for a top-four spot? Share your thoughts. Join the thread!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports