Liverpool FC Transfer News: Why Reds Failed to Land Ukranian Target
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 2, 2014 5:10 AM EST
Liverpool was on the verge of signing Ukranian playmaker Yevhen Konoplyanka on the final day of the January transfer window, but things did not turn out as expected.
Liverpool fails to land Ukranian Yevhen Konoplyanka
Arsenal FC Transfer News: Schalke Intends to Keep Draxler, but a ‘Serious Offer’ Might Change Their Stance
Everything seemed on course as the Dnipro man has already agreed with the Reds on personal terms back then, while passing the required medical test.
Moreover, the Merseyside-based outfit activated the 24-year-old's release clause, with only the finalization left to be dealt with.
To their dismay, however, Dnipro president Ihor Kolomoyskyi called the deal off.
Oliver Cabrera, who runs OML Sports and Marketing - Konoplyanka's agent, confirmed the aforementioned cancellation by the club chairman.
"We have a very good relationship with the president Kolomoyskyi and he doesn't want to sell the player," said Cabrera.
"Yehven and his father respect that, so a move is very unlikely,"
Meanwhile, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers remains positive in spite of not having to land a reinforcement that could help his squad, at the very least, clinch a Champions League spot.
"Of course, as a manager you would like to have strengthened - but I'm very optimistic with the group of players I still have available here," said Rodgers.
"If we can keep those players fit, and maximise the availability for the rest of the season, we can have a great chance to have a really good finish."
Can the Reds still challenge for a top-four spot? Share your thoughts. Join the thread!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- Chelsea FC: Spanish NT Doctor Belies Mourinho's Claim That Diego Costa Aggravated Hamstring Injury
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists