Liverpool FC Transfer News: Why Reds Failed to Land Ukranian Target
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 2, 2014 5:10 AM EST
Liverpool was on the verge of signing Ukranian playmaker Yevhen Konoplyanka on the final day of the January transfer window, but things did not turn out as expected.
Liverpool fails to land Ukranian Yevhen Konoplyanka
Arsenal FC Transfer News: Schalke Intends to Keep Draxler, but a ‘Serious Offer’ Might Change Their Stance
Everything seemed on course as the Dnipro man has already agreed with the Reds on personal terms back then, while passing the required medical test.
Moreover, the Merseyside-based outfit activated the 24-year-old's release clause, with only the finalization left to be dealt with.
To their dismay, however, Dnipro president Ihor Kolomoyskyi called the deal off.
Oliver Cabrera, who runs OML Sports and Marketing - Konoplyanka's agent, confirmed the aforementioned cancellation by the club chairman.
"We have a very good relationship with the president Kolomoyskyi and he doesn't want to sell the player," said Cabrera.
"Yehven and his father respect that, so a move is very unlikely,"
Meanwhile, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers remains positive in spite of not having to land a reinforcement that could help his squad, at the very least, clinch a Champions League spot.
"Of course, as a manager you would like to have strengthened - but I'm very optimistic with the group of players I still have available here," said Rodgers.
"If we can keep those players fit, and maximise the availability for the rest of the season, we can have a great chance to have a really good finish."
Can the Reds still challenge for a top-four spot? Share your thoughts. Join the thread!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales