Liverpool FC Transfer News: Why Reds Failed to Land Ukranian Target
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 2, 2014 5:10 AM EST
Liverpool was on the verge of signing Ukranian playmaker Yevhen Konoplyanka on the final day of the January transfer window, but things did not turn out as expected.
Liverpool fails to land Ukranian Yevhen Konoplyanka
Arsenal FC Transfer News: Schalke Intends to Keep Draxler, but a ‘Serious Offer’ Might Change Their Stance
Everything seemed on course as the Dnipro man has already agreed with the Reds on personal terms back then, while passing the required medical test.
Moreover, the Merseyside-based outfit activated the 24-year-old's release clause, with only the finalization left to be dealt with.
To their dismay, however, Dnipro president Ihor Kolomoyskyi called the deal off.
Oliver Cabrera, who runs OML Sports and Marketing - Konoplyanka's agent, confirmed the aforementioned cancellation by the club chairman.
"We have a very good relationship with the president Kolomoyskyi and he doesn't want to sell the player," said Cabrera.
"Yehven and his father respect that, so a move is very unlikely,"
Meanwhile, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers remains positive in spite of not having to land a reinforcement that could help his squad, at the very least, clinch a Champions League spot.
"Of course, as a manager you would like to have strengthened - but I'm very optimistic with the group of players I still have available here," said Rodgers.
"If we can keep those players fit, and maximise the availability for the rest of the season, we can have a great chance to have a really good finish."
Can the Reds still challenge for a top-four spot? Share your thoughts. Join the thread!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery