Liverpool FC Transfer News: Why Reds Failed to Land Ukranian Target
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 2, 2014 5:10 AM EST
Liverpool was on the verge of signing Ukranian playmaker Yevhen Konoplyanka on the final day of the January transfer window, but things did not turn out as expected.
Liverpool fails to land Ukranian Yevhen Konoplyanka
Arsenal FC Transfer News: Schalke Intends to Keep Draxler, but a ‘Serious Offer’ Might Change Their Stance
Everything seemed on course as the Dnipro man has already agreed with the Reds on personal terms back then, while passing the required medical test.
Moreover, the Merseyside-based outfit activated the 24-year-old's release clause, with only the finalization left to be dealt with.
To their dismay, however, Dnipro president Ihor Kolomoyskyi called the deal off.
Oliver Cabrera, who runs OML Sports and Marketing - Konoplyanka's agent, confirmed the aforementioned cancellation by the club chairman.
"We have a very good relationship with the president Kolomoyskyi and he doesn't want to sell the player," said Cabrera.
"Yehven and his father respect that, so a move is very unlikely,"
Meanwhile, Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers remains positive in spite of not having to land a reinforcement that could help his squad, at the very least, clinch a Champions League spot.
"Of course, as a manager you would like to have strengthened - but I'm very optimistic with the group of players I still have available here," said Rodgers.
"If we can keep those players fit, and maximise the availability for the rest of the season, we can have a great chance to have a really good finish."
Can the Reds still challenge for a top-four spot? Share your thoughts. Join the thread!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers