Man Smuggles Nearly 40,000 Piranhas into New York City
By Aditya Bhat | February 2, 2014 1:38 AM EST
A man has been accused of smuggling nearly 40,000 piranhas into New York City. The person, Joel Rakower, has been now arrested and has pleaded guilty to getting the piranhas illegally into the Big Apple.
Wiki Commons (Greg Hume)
Nearly 40,000 piranhas smuggled into New York City
Rakower, 66, was arrested for smuggling in 39,548 piranhas, worth $37,376. The offence was committed between 2011 and 2012. Rakower is a Queens-based fish salesman, who brought the piranhas from Hong Kong through his company Transship Discounts. He had told the supplier to label them as 'silver tetras,' which are popular, non-aggressive aquarium fish.
Piranhas are territorial freshwater fish with sharp teeth and are natives of South America. It feeds on insects, fish and even bigger preys like amphibians, reptiles and mammals.Piranhas attack in groups and are capable of causing nasty injuries.
Since 2011, New York City has made it illegal to import piranhas which are aggressive. The fish is either illegal or restricted in 25 US states because of its dangerous nature.
Rakower has entered plea in the Brooklyn federal court. As a part of his plea, he has also agreed to pay an excess of $70,000 in fines and restitution, with his company courting probation for two years.
Rakower was "driven by greed and without regard for the health and safety of people or the environment," said Richard Brown, Attorney, Queens District to the media, reported the National Geographic.
He has been in the business for 30 years and said the incident was an error in judgement. Only 850, out of the 39,548 piranhas he smuggled in, have been recovered.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Asia Has World’s Best & Worst Airports 2014 [Complete Lists]
- World’s Worst Tourist Destinations
- Gwyneth Paltrow To Attend Tasmania’s Tourism Event
- Tasmania Ranks No. 4 In Lonely Planet’s 'Top 10 Regions In The World To Visit In 2015' List
- MH370 Oct 23 Update: Public Reports Debris Washed Up In Australian Coastline
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop