Apple to Support Fitness Tracking in iOS 8?
By Aditya Bhat | February 2, 2014 12:41 AM EST
In the future, iPhones are likely to keep a track of users' fitness levels, by showing the rate of their heart beat, blood pressure and glucose levels.
Apple is reportedly working on a new feature that will focus on health and fitness, in its upcoming iOS 8. Meanwhile, reports also indicate that the rumored iWatch could soon make an entry, and thus integrate with the fitness apps.
9to5Mac reports that while iOS 7 was focused on design, iOS 8 is likely to focus more on the interface and will work closely with the new iPhone hardware that comes with intelligent sensors which will track the fitness of the user's body. iOS 8 is codenamed Okemo, which is a ski resort based in Vermont.
A new app in development, codenamed Healthbook, will monitor fitness stats, blood pressure, heart rate and glucose levels.
These apps will be competing with the likes of Nike+ Fuelband SE and the Fitbit Force which are already in the market.
Apple has reportedly patented a technology that will keep track of cardiac data. Though the iPhone 5S has no such trackers, it does have apps that track some other fitness levels. Though it does not look like there will be additions of blood pressure and heart rate monitoring soon, these features are likely to show up in the future.
The new software will allow users to feed information on the medications they are taking, and the app will send reminders on the time it has to be consumed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Gene That Stops Spreading of Lung Cancer - Identified by Latest Study.
- Teenage Boys Desire Intimacy and Close Relationships: Study
- Young Women Scientists Face Sexual Harassments While Working on Scientific Field: Study Says
- Breakthrough in HIV Medications: Two Australian Men and One In Rockford 'Cured'
- The Great Australian Sex Census Decodes Sex Technology Habits of Australians
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People