Samsung Galaxy S5 Release Date: Launch Likely at MWC Event
By Raymond Ronamai | February 1, 2014 9:53 PM EST
Amid speculations about the release date of the much-awaited Galaxy S5, a report has emerged that the fifth generation Samsung smartphone would be launched at the upcoming Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona.
The logo of Apple Inc is reflected on the back of a Samsung Galaxy Note smartphone in this photo illustration taken in Beijing June 5, 2013.
Tech enthusiast Eldar Murtazin, who rightly predicted the Galaxy S4 release date, had earlier said that Galaxy S5 would be launched on 23 February, a day before the MWC (Mobile World Congress) 2014. However, Samsung's executive vice-president (Mobile Business) Lee Young Hee told Bloomberg that the company is planning to launch the Galaxy S5 in the month of March or April.
Samsung Galaxy S5 is expected to have several features not seen in the earlier Galaxy series. It is reported that the new smartphone will have multi-hovering technology and head-tracking gesture control features, which will enhance 3D gaming.
The fifth generation smartphone is also expected to feature LPDDR4 DRAM, A8 processor, Android KitKat OS, TouchWiz UI, 20-megapixel camera and a 5.25-inch Super AMOLED display with 2K (2560 x 1440p) resolution, having pixel density of 560 pixels per inch (ppi).
A section of the media also reported that Samsung might introduce Iris Scanner in its upcoming device but the Korean Herald said in a report, citing industry sources, that the electronic giant has dropped the plan and has opted for finger-print sensor.
Samsung has not uttered a word on the availability and pricing of Galaxy S5 yet but a report by Rappler suggested that it would be priced around $750 (approximately ₹47,010).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced