‘Rummy’ Review Roundup: Gets Mixed Reaction
By Ankita Mehta | February 1, 2014 8:13 PM EST
Tamil romantic thriller "Rummy" which released in theaters on Friday has received mixed reviews from critics.
While Balakrishnan marks his debut as director with "Rummy", Vijay Sethupathi, Gayathrie, Inigo Prabhakaran and Aishwarya take on the role of lead characters in the film.
Read the reviews here:
M Sugant of The Times of India writes: "And, so it ends, Vijay Sethupathi's enviable run of envelope-pushing movies, with this very familiar tale of blood-soaked romance that clearly aims to be another Subramaniapuram. Right from its period setting (late 1980s) to the countryside duets and the ruthless characters, Rummy recalls the Sasikumar film, almost to a fault.
"If it isn't mentioned that the film takes place in the 80s, we would still have bought this as a contemporary story taking place in the lawless South (even if it isn't the reality). And, yet, despite all these problems, we stick till the end because of our inherent nature of finding some comfort in the familiar."
Prashanth Reddy of Desi Martini writes: "What "Rummy" should have been is a celebration of friendship and love with power to wrench our hearts at the mere mention of the atrocities and the senseless killings of lovers in the name of pride. But what it is is an insipid, boring and punishingly long attempt to tell a story that has been told too many times already. Even on the performance front, Sethupathy and Prabhakaran aren't any good.
"Even well into the third hour, "Rummy" throws the kind of scenes which should have appeared in the first 30 minutes. It brings up conflicts which should have been resolved in the first hour."
Behindwoods Review Board writes: "The 80s period has been emphasized with the references to Silk Smitha's raging popularity in that era. The Rajini factor and 'Oliyum Oliyum' also find a place in the scheme of things as the director tries to portray the period authentically.
"Ultimately, the biggest drawback of Rummy is its laborious pace and its familiar premise.The conflict element in the movie has been shown countless times in yesteryear movies and there is nothing new on offer. Also, at a time when Vijay Sethupathi commands such popularity and attention, Rummy does nothing to capitalize on that and instead relegates him to the background."
Gautaman Bhaskaran of Hindustan Times writes: "Rummy's first half lends itself to a campus story, some of its incidents drawn from the helmer's experiences and observations. So, it's autobiographical in a way. But was Tamil society so violent then, replete with honour killings of young couples in love?
"Rummy is often violent, with the strongman's underling slicing off the arm of a young man who dared to fall in love with a girl from his village. There is more bloodshed and gore to come, more revenge and brutality -- sometimes treated with arrogant casualness. However, the high point of Balakrishnan's script is the shock it presents at the end."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase