Volkswagen Beetle Celebrates 65 Years in US; Shows No Signs of Retirement
By Keerthi Mohan | February 1, 2014 7:36 PM EST
The Volkswagen Beetle hit American roads 65 years ago this month, and it shows no signs of retirement.
The Beetle hit American roads 65 years ago this month, and it shows no signs of retirement.
For instance, in the mid-1950s, an estimated 35,000 Beetles were sold, and by 1960, the figure was up to 300,000. Last year alone, Volkswagen sold over 43,000 units in the U.S., making its overall sales to over 30 million in the country.
The Beetle has been redesigned twice, and the third generation Beetle, which entered the U.S. market in 2011, has become one of the most popular vehicles in the Volkswagen family.
From selling just two models of the Beetle, today, Volkswagen has grown to a brand that offers 11 different models that are sold by 644 dealers.
While practicality and affordability were the two factors that attracted Americans to the early model, the unique design, fuel economy and size became an added benefit in the later years.
"Since its arrival in the United States 65 years ago, the Volkswagen Beetle has preserved its reputation of being more than just a car, but a symbol of uniqueness and freedom," said Michael Horn, President and CEO of Volkswagen Group of America, in a statement. "The Beetle has become part of the cultural fabric in America and we are proud that its rich heritage continues to live with fans around the States."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- All-New Mazda2 to Roll Out in Australia This Summer
- Much-Awaited Mazda MX-5 Limited Edition in Australia
- 75 Dead from China Car Parts Plant Blast, Poor Safety Measures Blamed
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans