Volkswagen Beetle Celebrates 65 Years in US; Shows No Signs of Retirement
By Keerthi Mohan | February 1, 2014 7:36 PM EST
The Volkswagen Beetle hit American roads 65 years ago this month, and it shows no signs of retirement.
The Beetle hit American roads 65 years ago this month, and it shows no signs of retirement.
For instance, in the mid-1950s, an estimated 35,000 Beetles were sold, and by 1960, the figure was up to 300,000. Last year alone, Volkswagen sold over 43,000 units in the U.S., making its overall sales to over 30 million in the country.
The Beetle has been redesigned twice, and the third generation Beetle, which entered the U.S. market in 2011, has become one of the most popular vehicles in the Volkswagen family.
From selling just two models of the Beetle, today, Volkswagen has grown to a brand that offers 11 different models that are sold by 644 dealers.
While practicality and affordability were the two factors that attracted Americans to the early model, the unique design, fuel economy and size became an added benefit in the later years.
"Since its arrival in the United States 65 years ago, the Volkswagen Beetle has preserved its reputation of being more than just a car, but a symbol of uniqueness and freedom," said Michael Horn, President and CEO of Volkswagen Group of America, in a statement. "The Beetle has become part of the cultural fabric in America and we are proud that its rich heritage continues to live with fans around the States."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Alerts Car Owners To Fix Air Bags Urgently As Defective Air Bags Are Causing Fatal Deaths With Shrapnels Flying Out
- Honda Connect a System Based on Android and NVIDIA Tegra Processor To make Driving Easy
- Over 1,000 New Jobs Available at Oakville Assembly – Ford of Canada
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies