Best-Selling Indian Small Cars Maruti Alto, Hyundai i10, Tata Nano Fail Crash Test: Reports
By greeshma m | February 1, 2014 6:36 PM EST
India's best selling small cars, Maruti Alto, Hyundai Grand i10 and the world's cheapest car Tata Nano failed to pass their first independent crash tests, says the London car-safety watchdog Global NCAP.
Hyundai cars are seen ready for shipment at a port in Chennai November 27, 2006
Global NCAP, an independent charity based in UK that conducts consumer orientated vehicle safety initiatives said that the five popular small cars in the domestic market namely Maruti Alto 800, Tata Nano, Ford Figo, Hyundai i10 and Volkswagen Polo have botched terribly, receiving a zero on a scale of 1-5.
For the test, the entry-level models of the aforementioned made-in-India models were chosen and put trough two tests- the 64kmph test and the UN minimum safety standard crash test at 56kmph. According to Global NCAP, none of the cars managed to pass these tests.
The Ford Figo and Volkswagen Polo were the only two cars that showed structural stability. The structural weaknesses of Maruti Alto 800, Tata Nano and Hyundai i10 showed high risk of life-threatening injuries in road accidents, opined NCAP.
"Poor structural integrity and the absence of airbags are putting the lives of Indian consumers at risk. They have a right to know how safe their vehicles are and to expect the same basic levels of safety as standard as customers in other part of the world," PTI quoted Global NCAP Chairman Max Mosley as saying.
Indian auto makers reacted to the results of the tests differently, though all agree that the safety of the vehicles manufactured should be monitored closely. The latest report of the safety of cars in India is likely to cause pandemonium in the auto market as the small car industry has been witnessing a surge.
India's growing middle class's affinity for small cars and the willingness to compromise safety to keep the vehicles at low price are to be blamed. NCAP estimates that the sales of these five cars, which failed to pass the crash tests contribute to nearly 20 percent of the new cars sold in India.
"All our vehicles, including the Tata Nano meets all Indian safety regulations, including the frontal barrier crash test at 48 kmph, as mandated by the government. All our cars on Indian roads, including the Nano are engineered for safety in view of Indian road and traffic conditions," said Tata Head - Advanced and Product Engineering, Engineering Research Centre, Tim Leverton .
"With our recent introduction of dual front airbags as standard fitment on all variants of the Polo in India, the Polo is now the safest premium-segment hatchback in the country. We believe this demonstrates Volkswagen's commitment to building better, safer cars for the Indian consumers," Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Volkswagen Group Sales India, Managing Director Arvind Saxena added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display