Box Office Report: 'Veeram', 'Jilla' and Other January 2014 Releases
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 1, 2014 3:16 PM EST
Check out the box office report of "Veeram", "Jilla", "Goli Soda" and other Tamil films released in January.
Ajith in "Veeram" (Facebook)
Ajith's "Veeram" created a lot of buzz ever since the film went on floors.
The action packed entertainer was released on 10 January amid huge expectations from fans. "Veeram" received good reviews from critics and left the audience impressed as well.
The film took a fantastic opening and reportedly grossed over ₹7 crore in Tamil Nadu on the first day of its release. "Veeram" has managed to sustain its business at the box office, despite facing strong competition from another other big release - "Jilla".
The Ajith starrer reportedly grossed over ₹70 crore in 10 days at the worldwide box office. With no big releases, "Veeram" continued its successful run in several theatres.
The action entertainer has also performed exceptionally well in key overseas markets including US, UK, Australia and Malaysia.
Directed by "Siruthai" Siva, "Veeram" is about Ajith and his four brothers played by actors Bala, Vidarth, newbie Suhail and Munish. The film has Tamannaah, Nassar, Santhanam, Pradeep Rawat, Atul Kulkarni and Ramesh Khanna in supporting roles.
"Veeram" has turned out to be another hit in Ajith's career. With the film's success, Ajith has two back-to-back hits in a row including "Arrambam".
The actor is all set to commence shooting for his new film with Gautham Menon. This is the first time Ajith will be teaming up with Gautham, who has several critically-acclaimed and commercially successful films to his credit including "Kaakha Kaakha", "Vetaiyaadu Vilaiyaadu" and "Vinnai Thandi Varuvaaya" among others.
Anushka Shetty is reportedly playing the female lead in the film. Details about other cast and crew members are to yet to be revealed. It remains to be seen if Ajith will be able to score a hat-trick with this untitled flick at the box office.
Vijay's "Jilla", which released along with "Veeram", has also fared well at the Indian as well as overseas box office.
The film grossed over ₹7 crore on the first day of its release in India and continued to do fantastic business. The Vijay starrer reportedly minted more than ₹80 crore at the worldwide box office in 10 days.
It is continuing its successful run at the box office, as there are no other new big releases. The action entertainer has done well in overseas markets including US, Malaysia, Australia and UK.
Directed by RT Neason "Jilla" revolves around Mohanlal and Vijay, who appear in father-son roles. The film has Kajal Aggarwal, Sampath Raj, Poornima Bhagyaraj, Soori, Mahat Raghavendra and Niveda Thomas in supporting roles.
The success of "Jilla" should bring a sense of relief for Vijay, whose last release "Thalaivaa" was not up to the mark.
The actor will next be seen in AR Murugadoss directorial. The film, which is expected to go on floors in February, will reportedly have Samantha play the female lead. Expectations are high for the film, as Vijay is teaming up with Murugadoss for the second time after the 2012 blockbuster flick "Thuppakki".
Buzz is that Vijay might be playing a dual role in the film. However, there is no official confirmation on the same. Details about other cast members are yet to be revealed.
"Goli Soda", directed by Vijay Milton, has received rave reviews from critics and has also impressed the audience.
The theatre occupancy of the film, which released on 24 January, has gradually increased in the first three days. Positive word of mouth has helped the film make a good opening in Tamil Nadu. In Chennai, "Goli Soda" has grossed over ₹24 lakh in its opening weekend, according to Behindwoods.
The Vijay Milton directorial is about four adolescents trying to create an identity for themselves. Following the stupendous success of "Goli Soda", the director is planning for a sequel to the film which will have the same four cast actors from the original. "Goli Soda 2" will reportedly go on floors in September this year.
Two other films - "Malini 22 Palayamkottai" and "Ner Ethir", were released along with "Goli Soda" on 24 January. "Malini 22 Palayamkottai", directed by yesteryear actress Sripriya, has opened to a lukewarm response in its first weekend in Chennai.
"Ner Ethir", directed by M Jayapradeep and produced by Kalaipuli S Thanu, had a poor opening in its debut weekend.
Many other Tamil films including "Inga Enna Solludhu", "Ethir Veechu", "Ninaithatu Yaaro", "Ninaivil Nindraval" and "Rummy" hit the screens on 30 and 31 January. It remains to be seen how these films fare at the box office.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 21 Spoilers: Nick Shocks His Family And Summer’s Past Gets Revealed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef