Weekahead - Flows, Rupee Key for Shares Amid EM Turmoil
February 1, 2014 3:06 PM EST
The BSE Sensex is expected to take cues from overseas investor flows and the rupee after a U.S. Federal Reserve taper-induced emerging market rout led the indexes to mark their lowest levels since November on Thursday.
Brokers trade on their computer terminals at a stock brokerage firm in Mumbai May 4, 2009.
Foreign institutional investors bought Indian shares worth a net $85.4 million in January, the smallest amount since they sold $902.5 million in August, when the rupee was hitting record lows against the dollar, exchange and regulatory data as of Thursday shows.
Domestic shares have tumbled, marking a sharp turnaround since the BSE Sensex posted a record closing high on January 23, on the back of a rout in emerging markets and the Reserve Bank of India's unexpected hike in interest rates on Tuesday.
Advance GDP forecast for the current fiscal year will be watched with the government expecting 5 percent growth while private economists expect the numbers to come in below that.
The next week would also mark the final leg of large cap earnings.
Anil Ambani group stocks including Reliance Capital (RLCP.NS) would be on watch ahead of earnings in second half of the week.
KEY EVENTS/FACTORS TO WATCH
Thu: Reliance Infrastructure Ltd (RLIN.NS), Ambuja Cements, ACC earnings
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’