India Revises Down 2012/13 GDP Growth to 4.5 Percent y/y
February 1, 2014 2:58 PM EST
India revised down its economic growth for the fiscal year 2012/13 to 4.5 percent from 5.0 percent earlier, the government data showed on Friday, on lower than provisionally estimated output in farm and manufacturing sectors.
A labourer carries a sack of cement against a backdrop of the central Mumbai financial district, in February, 2013.
The latest numbers are the first revised gross domestic product (GDP) estimates for the last fiscal year.
The data also showed lower than estimated growth numbers for exports, capital investment and consumption sectors, suggesting deeper underlying weaknesses in Asia's third-largest economy, which grew at more than 9 percent before the 2008 global financial crisis.
The GDP growth for 2011/12 fiscal year was, however, upwardly revised to 6.7 percent from 6.2 percent, but that of the 2010/11 year was revised down to 8.9 percent from 9.3 percent, the data from the Ministry of Statistics showed.
The government and the central bank have often blamed sharp data revisions for creating problems for policy formulations.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Canadian Bank Thanks Its Customers Through Surprise Gifts In ATM [VIDEO]
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements