India Revises Down 2012/13 GDP Growth to 4.5 Percent y/y
February 1, 2014 2:58 PM EST
India revised down its economic growth for the fiscal year 2012/13 to 4.5 percent from 5.0 percent earlier, the government data showed on Friday, on lower than provisionally estimated output in farm and manufacturing sectors.
A labourer carries a sack of cement against a backdrop of the central Mumbai financial district, in February, 2013.
The latest numbers are the first revised gross domestic product (GDP) estimates for the last fiscal year.
The data also showed lower than estimated growth numbers for exports, capital investment and consumption sectors, suggesting deeper underlying weaknesses in Asia's third-largest economy, which grew at more than 9 percent before the 2008 global financial crisis.
The GDP growth for 2011/12 fiscal year was, however, upwardly revised to 6.7 percent from 6.2 percent, but that of the 2010/11 year was revised down to 8.9 percent from 9.3 percent, the data from the Ministry of Statistics showed.
The government and the central bank have often blamed sharp data revisions for creating problems for policy formulations.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage