Arsenal Transfer News: Kim Kallstrom Hopes to Bring Experience Into Play after Completing Deadline Day Move
By Deepak Vikraman | February 1, 2014 2:51 PM EST
It was not as big or as exciting a name as the last player that moved to Arsenal on transfer deadline day, but Arsene Wenger will hope new January transfer window signing Kim Kallstrom plays a big part in the club's quest for titles this season after the experienced Sweden international completed his move from Spartak Moscow on Friday night.
Kallstrom moves to Arsenal on a loan deal until the end of the season from, and the Swede admitted the sudden switch had come as a bit of a surprise to him.
"Yesterday I was in Abu Dhabi with Spartak Moscow and I got a phone call asking if I would like to go to Arsenal on loan for a few months," Kallstrom told the club's official website. "I thought 'Absolutely, why not?.'
"So I quickly went back to the hotel, got my stuff and went to the airport as fast as I could! I flew into London today [Friday]. Now I just want to settle down as fast as I can and prepare for the games ahead."
Kallstrom has been around the block for quite a few years now, and made his name with French club Lyon. The left-footed midfielder is known for his set-piece nous while also being comfortable on the ball.
At 31, this move is probably Kallstrom's last chance to shine at a major European club, and Wenger will no doubt hope the experienced Swedish international will not only provide some much-needed cover, following an injury setback to Aaron Ramsey, but also offer a bit more of a calming presence on the pitch, when things aren't going your way, something that always comes with experience.
"There are lots of players who can help," Kallstrom added. "But having played a lot of international games is not a handicap. It is the other way around. With my experience I'll just try to help out and we'll see how it turns out.
"Arsenal is an amazing club with a lot of great players and a coach who has done really well here for a long time. I am so pleased to come here to learn as much as possible. I'm here to do my best for Arsenal and to help out the team, so we can achieve good results for the last part of the season."
Arsenal currently find themselves second in the Premier League table, a point behind Manchester City, and face a daunting two-legged tie against European champions Bayern Munich in the last 16 of the Champions League.
Squad depth always plays a vital role during the second half of the season, and Wenger has ensured he has an extra experienced hand at his disposal by completing the signing of Kallstrom.
"I hope to adapt to the Premier League quickly," Kallstrom said. "But it is still football, we have our skills and we try to play the best way that we can. It is always easier when you are playing in a very competent team."
Meanwhile, two players left the club on transfer deadline day, with Emmanuel Frimpong completing a permanent switch to Championship side Barnsley, while forgotten man Park Chu-Young signed for Watford on a loan deal until the end of the season.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers