Arsenal Transfer News: Kim Kallstrom Hopes to Bring Experience Into Play after Completing Deadline Day Move
By Deepak Vikraman | February 1, 2014 2:51 PM EST
It was not as big or as exciting a name as the last player that moved to Arsenal on transfer deadline day, but Arsene Wenger will hope new January transfer window signing Kim Kallstrom plays a big part in the club's quest for titles this season after the experienced Sweden international completed his move from Spartak Moscow on Friday night.
Kallstrom moves to Arsenal on a loan deal until the end of the season from, and the Swede admitted the sudden switch had come as a bit of a surprise to him.
"Yesterday I was in Abu Dhabi with Spartak Moscow and I got a phone call asking if I would like to go to Arsenal on loan for a few months," Kallstrom told the club's official website. "I thought 'Absolutely, why not?.'
"So I quickly went back to the hotel, got my stuff and went to the airport as fast as I could! I flew into London today [Friday]. Now I just want to settle down as fast as I can and prepare for the games ahead."
Kallstrom has been around the block for quite a few years now, and made his name with French club Lyon. The left-footed midfielder is known for his set-piece nous while also being comfortable on the ball.
At 31, this move is probably Kallstrom's last chance to shine at a major European club, and Wenger will no doubt hope the experienced Swedish international will not only provide some much-needed cover, following an injury setback to Aaron Ramsey, but also offer a bit more of a calming presence on the pitch, when things aren't going your way, something that always comes with experience.
"There are lots of players who can help," Kallstrom added. "But having played a lot of international games is not a handicap. It is the other way around. With my experience I'll just try to help out and we'll see how it turns out.
"Arsenal is an amazing club with a lot of great players and a coach who has done really well here for a long time. I am so pleased to come here to learn as much as possible. I'm here to do my best for Arsenal and to help out the team, so we can achieve good results for the last part of the season."
Arsenal currently find themselves second in the Premier League table, a point behind Manchester City, and face a daunting two-legged tie against European champions Bayern Munich in the last 16 of the Champions League.
Squad depth always plays a vital role during the second half of the season, and Wenger has ensured he has an extra experienced hand at his disposal by completing the signing of Kallstrom.
"I hope to adapt to the Premier League quickly," Kallstrom said. "But it is still football, we have our skills and we try to play the best way that we can. It is always easier when you are playing in a very competent team."
Meanwhile, two players left the club on transfer deadline day, with Emmanuel Frimpong completing a permanent switch to Championship side Barnsley, while forgotten man Park Chu-Young signed for Watford on a loan deal until the end of the season.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal