Arsenal Transfer News: Kim Kallstrom Hopes to Bring Experience Into Play after Completing Deadline Day Move
By Deepak Vikraman | February 1, 2014 2:51 PM EST
It was not as big or as exciting a name as the last player that moved to Arsenal on transfer deadline day, but Arsene Wenger will hope new January transfer window signing Kim Kallstrom plays a big part in the club's quest for titles this season after the experienced Sweden international completed his move from Spartak Moscow on Friday night.
Kallstrom moves to Arsenal on a loan deal until the end of the season from, and the Swede admitted the sudden switch had come as a bit of a surprise to him.
"Yesterday I was in Abu Dhabi with Spartak Moscow and I got a phone call asking if I would like to go to Arsenal on loan for a few months," Kallstrom told the club's official website. "I thought 'Absolutely, why not?.'
"So I quickly went back to the hotel, got my stuff and went to the airport as fast as I could! I flew into London today [Friday]. Now I just want to settle down as fast as I can and prepare for the games ahead."
Kallstrom has been around the block for quite a few years now, and made his name with French club Lyon. The left-footed midfielder is known for his set-piece nous while also being comfortable on the ball.
At 31, this move is probably Kallstrom's last chance to shine at a major European club, and Wenger will no doubt hope the experienced Swedish international will not only provide some much-needed cover, following an injury setback to Aaron Ramsey, but also offer a bit more of a calming presence on the pitch, when things aren't going your way, something that always comes with experience.
"There are lots of players who can help," Kallstrom added. "But having played a lot of international games is not a handicap. It is the other way around. With my experience I'll just try to help out and we'll see how it turns out.
"Arsenal is an amazing club with a lot of great players and a coach who has done really well here for a long time. I am so pleased to come here to learn as much as possible. I'm here to do my best for Arsenal and to help out the team, so we can achieve good results for the last part of the season."
Arsenal currently find themselves second in the Premier League table, a point behind Manchester City, and face a daunting two-legged tie against European champions Bayern Munich in the last 16 of the Champions League.
Squad depth always plays a vital role during the second half of the season, and Wenger has ensured he has an extra experienced hand at his disposal by completing the signing of Kallstrom.
"I hope to adapt to the Premier League quickly," Kallstrom said. "But it is still football, we have our skills and we try to play the best way that we can. It is always easier when you are playing in a very competent team."
Meanwhile, two players left the club on transfer deadline day, with Emmanuel Frimpong completing a permanent switch to Championship side Barnsley, while forgotten man Park Chu-Young signed for Watford on a loan deal until the end of the season.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29