Arsenal Transfer News Deadline Day: Gunners Set to Sign Midfielder while Striker Chase Continues
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 1, 2014 4:31 AM EST
Arsenal reportedly remain confident of landing Spartak Moscow midfielder Kim Kallstrom on loan till the end of the season before the close of the transfer window tonight, while it is also understood that the Gunners are also pushing hard to snap up a centre forward before the deadline.
Arsene Wenger had already confirmed that the club would not be signing long-time target and Schalke midfielder Julian Draxler today. However, the French tactician admitted that with Aaron Ramsey sidelined for six weeks and Mathieu Flamini suspended for the next three matches, a centre midfielder is now a priority target.
Wenger also said there is an 80 percent chance that Arsenal will sign a player before the transfer deadline, and reports have since claimed that the player will be Spartak's Kallstrom. Some reports even suggested that the veteran Sweden international has already underwent a medical at Arsenal's London Colney training facilities and will be unveiled as a Gunner soon.
Kallstrom has 108 senior international caps for Sweden and has won two Ligue 1 titles with former club Lyon. The 31-year-old operates mainly as a deep-lying playmaker and is known for his free-kick ability.
Meanwhile, there are also reports that the Gunners are trying to beat the clock to bring in a versatile forward on loan for the rest of the season.
Arsenal have been short on options up front, ever since Theo Walcott was ruled out for the season with an ACL injury. Lazio's Germany international Miroslav Klose has been heavily linked, while there is also a strong interest in Barcelona youngster Cristian Tello.
Goal.com claims Arsenal chief negotiator Dick Law is currently in Italy to finalise a deal for veteran striker Klose. However, with Lazio having agreed on a move that will see talisman Hernanes join Inter Milan today, it's highly unlikely that the Serie A side would bid farewell to another attacking player mid-season, despite landing Valencia forward Helder Psotiga on a loan till the end of the season.
The versatile Tello, on the other hand, will also be a smart signing for the rest of the season, though Barca are understood to be against letting the 22-year-old leave, despite Neymar returning to training after recovering from an injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best