Arsenal Transfer News Deadline Day: Gunners Set to Sign Midfielder while Striker Chase Continues
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 1, 2014 4:31 AM EST
Arsenal reportedly remain confident of landing Spartak Moscow midfielder Kim Kallstrom on loan till the end of the season before the close of the transfer window tonight, while it is also understood that the Gunners are also pushing hard to snap up a centre forward before the deadline.
Arsene Wenger had already confirmed that the club would not be signing long-time target and Schalke midfielder Julian Draxler today. However, the French tactician admitted that with Aaron Ramsey sidelined for six weeks and Mathieu Flamini suspended for the next three matches, a centre midfielder is now a priority target.
Wenger also said there is an 80 percent chance that Arsenal will sign a player before the transfer deadline, and reports have since claimed that the player will be Spartak's Kallstrom. Some reports even suggested that the veteran Sweden international has already underwent a medical at Arsenal's London Colney training facilities and will be unveiled as a Gunner soon.
Kallstrom has 108 senior international caps for Sweden and has won two Ligue 1 titles with former club Lyon. The 31-year-old operates mainly as a deep-lying playmaker and is known for his free-kick ability.
Meanwhile, there are also reports that the Gunners are trying to beat the clock to bring in a versatile forward on loan for the rest of the season.
Arsenal have been short on options up front, ever since Theo Walcott was ruled out for the season with an ACL injury. Lazio's Germany international Miroslav Klose has been heavily linked, while there is also a strong interest in Barcelona youngster Cristian Tello.
Goal.com claims Arsenal chief negotiator Dick Law is currently in Italy to finalise a deal for veteran striker Klose. However, with Lazio having agreed on a move that will see talisman Hernanes join Inter Milan today, it's highly unlikely that the Serie A side would bid farewell to another attacking player mid-season, despite landing Valencia forward Helder Psotiga on a loan till the end of the season.
The versatile Tello, on the other hand, will also be a smart signing for the rest of the season, though Barca are understood to be against letting the 22-year-old leave, despite Neymar returning to training after recovering from an injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage