Arsenal Transfer News Deadline Day: Gunners Set to Sign Midfielder while Striker Chase Continues
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 1, 2014 4:31 AM EST
Arsenal reportedly remain confident of landing Spartak Moscow midfielder Kim Kallstrom on loan till the end of the season before the close of the transfer window tonight, while it is also understood that the Gunners are also pushing hard to snap up a centre forward before the deadline.
Arsene Wenger had already confirmed that the club would not be signing long-time target and Schalke midfielder Julian Draxler today. However, the French tactician admitted that with Aaron Ramsey sidelined for six weeks and Mathieu Flamini suspended for the next three matches, a centre midfielder is now a priority target.
Wenger also said there is an 80 percent chance that Arsenal will sign a player before the transfer deadline, and reports have since claimed that the player will be Spartak's Kallstrom. Some reports even suggested that the veteran Sweden international has already underwent a medical at Arsenal's London Colney training facilities and will be unveiled as a Gunner soon.
Kallstrom has 108 senior international caps for Sweden and has won two Ligue 1 titles with former club Lyon. The 31-year-old operates mainly as a deep-lying playmaker and is known for his free-kick ability.
Meanwhile, there are also reports that the Gunners are trying to beat the clock to bring in a versatile forward on loan for the rest of the season.
Arsenal have been short on options up front, ever since Theo Walcott was ruled out for the season with an ACL injury. Lazio's Germany international Miroslav Klose has been heavily linked, while there is also a strong interest in Barcelona youngster Cristian Tello.
Goal.com claims Arsenal chief negotiator Dick Law is currently in Italy to finalise a deal for veteran striker Klose. However, with Lazio having agreed on a move that will see talisman Hernanes join Inter Milan today, it's highly unlikely that the Serie A side would bid farewell to another attacking player mid-season, despite landing Valencia forward Helder Psotiga on a loan till the end of the season.
The versatile Tello, on the other hand, will also be a smart signing for the rest of the season, though Barca are understood to be against letting the 22-year-old leave, despite Neymar returning to training after recovering from an injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal