Arsenal Transfer News Deadline Day: Gunners Set to Sign Midfielder while Striker Chase Continues
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 1, 2014 4:31 AM EST
Arsenal reportedly remain confident of landing Spartak Moscow midfielder Kim Kallstrom on loan till the end of the season before the close of the transfer window tonight, while it is also understood that the Gunners are also pushing hard to snap up a centre forward before the deadline.
Arsene Wenger had already confirmed that the club would not be signing long-time target and Schalke midfielder Julian Draxler today. However, the French tactician admitted that with Aaron Ramsey sidelined for six weeks and Mathieu Flamini suspended for the next three matches, a centre midfielder is now a priority target.
Wenger also said there is an 80 percent chance that Arsenal will sign a player before the transfer deadline, and reports have since claimed that the player will be Spartak's Kallstrom. Some reports even suggested that the veteran Sweden international has already underwent a medical at Arsenal's London Colney training facilities and will be unveiled as a Gunner soon.
Kallstrom has 108 senior international caps for Sweden and has won two Ligue 1 titles with former club Lyon. The 31-year-old operates mainly as a deep-lying playmaker and is known for his free-kick ability.
Meanwhile, there are also reports that the Gunners are trying to beat the clock to bring in a versatile forward on loan for the rest of the season.
Arsenal have been short on options up front, ever since Theo Walcott was ruled out for the season with an ACL injury. Lazio's Germany international Miroslav Klose has been heavily linked, while there is also a strong interest in Barcelona youngster Cristian Tello.
Goal.com claims Arsenal chief negotiator Dick Law is currently in Italy to finalise a deal for veteran striker Klose. However, with Lazio having agreed on a move that will see talisman Hernanes join Inter Milan today, it's highly unlikely that the Serie A side would bid farewell to another attacking player mid-season, despite landing Valencia forward Helder Psotiga on a loan till the end of the season.
The versatile Tello, on the other hand, will also be a smart signing for the rest of the season, though Barca are understood to be against letting the 22-year-old leave, despite Neymar returning to training after recovering from an injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide