Arsenal Transfer News Deadline Day: Gunners Set to Sign Midfielder while Striker Chase Continues
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 1, 2014 4:31 AM EST
Arsenal reportedly remain confident of landing Spartak Moscow midfielder Kim Kallstrom on loan till the end of the season before the close of the transfer window tonight, while it is also understood that the Gunners are also pushing hard to snap up a centre forward before the deadline.
Arsene Wenger had already confirmed that the club would not be signing long-time target and Schalke midfielder Julian Draxler today. However, the French tactician admitted that with Aaron Ramsey sidelined for six weeks and Mathieu Flamini suspended for the next three matches, a centre midfielder is now a priority target.
Wenger also said there is an 80 percent chance that Arsenal will sign a player before the transfer deadline, and reports have since claimed that the player will be Spartak's Kallstrom. Some reports even suggested that the veteran Sweden international has already underwent a medical at Arsenal's London Colney training facilities and will be unveiled as a Gunner soon.
Kallstrom has 108 senior international caps for Sweden and has won two Ligue 1 titles with former club Lyon. The 31-year-old operates mainly as a deep-lying playmaker and is known for his free-kick ability.
Meanwhile, there are also reports that the Gunners are trying to beat the clock to bring in a versatile forward on loan for the rest of the season.
Arsenal have been short on options up front, ever since Theo Walcott was ruled out for the season with an ACL injury. Lazio's Germany international Miroslav Klose has been heavily linked, while there is also a strong interest in Barcelona youngster Cristian Tello.
Goal.com claims Arsenal chief negotiator Dick Law is currently in Italy to finalise a deal for veteran striker Klose. However, with Lazio having agreed on a move that will see talisman Hernanes join Inter Milan today, it's highly unlikely that the Serie A side would bid farewell to another attacking player mid-season, despite landing Valencia forward Helder Psotiga on a loan till the end of the season.
The versatile Tello, on the other hand, will also be a smart signing for the rest of the season, though Barca are understood to be against letting the 22-year-old leave, despite Neymar returning to training after recovering from an injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown