Liverpool Transfer News Deadline Day: Rodgers Waits on Konoplyanka as Manchester City Turn Down Reds' Loan Approach for Defender
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 1, 2014 3:48 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers has revealed Liverpool are anxiously waiting to see if they can wrap up a deal for Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka by the time the transfer window closes tonight.
The Reds have been heavily linked with a £16m move for the 24-year-old for the last few days, and the club's managing director Ian Ayre has been in Ukraine over the last 48 hours to reach an agreement with the player and his club Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
Latest reports claim a deal has been agreed and Konoplyanka is currently on his way to Liverpool for a medical. However, some time ago, Rodgers stated that there has been no significant developments in the situation, though Liverpool are still hoping they complete the deal before 11pm BST.
"There is no update yet. There is obviously an interest in the player, but there is no update. We'll see how it evolves. It is obviously a little complicated, but the staff that are over there have done brilliant work in terms of giving us every chance to get a player," Rodgers pointed out.
"So we will just have to see how that develops over the course of the day. It has all happened very quickly. Obviously the timeline on everything makes it tight," the Reds manager added.
Konoplyanka is basically an inverted winger, who operates on the left flank for the Ukraine national team. However, he possesses tremendous technical knowledge and playmaking abilities and can be deployed as a no.10 as well.
Meanwhile, it is understood that Liverpool have failed with a loan approach for Manchester City defender Micah Richards on deadline day.
Rodgers has been keen to improve his defence in this window, especially with wing-back Glen Johnson sidelined out for the near future. Richards, who can operate at either right-back or centre defence, could have been an ideal signing under the circumstances but, according to the Daily Mail, City have turned down the Red's loan move for the England international.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers