Liverpool Transfer News Deadline Day: Rodgers Waits on Konoplyanka as Manchester City Turn Down Reds' Loan Approach for Defender
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 1, 2014 3:48 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers has revealed Liverpool are anxiously waiting to see if they can wrap up a deal for Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka by the time the transfer window closes tonight.
The Reds have been heavily linked with a £16m move for the 24-year-old for the last few days, and the club's managing director Ian Ayre has been in Ukraine over the last 48 hours to reach an agreement with the player and his club Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
Latest reports claim a deal has been agreed and Konoplyanka is currently on his way to Liverpool for a medical. However, some time ago, Rodgers stated that there has been no significant developments in the situation, though Liverpool are still hoping they complete the deal before 11pm BST.
"There is no update yet. There is obviously an interest in the player, but there is no update. We'll see how it evolves. It is obviously a little complicated, but the staff that are over there have done brilliant work in terms of giving us every chance to get a player," Rodgers pointed out.
"So we will just have to see how that develops over the course of the day. It has all happened very quickly. Obviously the timeline on everything makes it tight," the Reds manager added.
Konoplyanka is basically an inverted winger, who operates on the left flank for the Ukraine national team. However, he possesses tremendous technical knowledge and playmaking abilities and can be deployed as a no.10 as well.
Meanwhile, it is understood that Liverpool have failed with a loan approach for Manchester City defender Micah Richards on deadline day.
Rodgers has been keen to improve his defence in this window, especially with wing-back Glen Johnson sidelined out for the near future. Richards, who can operate at either right-back or centre defence, could have been an ideal signing under the circumstances but, according to the Daily Mail, City have turned down the Red's loan move for the England international.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners