Liverpool Transfer News Deadline Day: Rodgers Waits on Konoplyanka as Manchester City Turn Down Reds' Loan Approach for Defender
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 1, 2014 3:48 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers has revealed Liverpool are anxiously waiting to see if they can wrap up a deal for Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka by the time the transfer window closes tonight.
The Reds have been heavily linked with a £16m move for the 24-year-old for the last few days, and the club's managing director Ian Ayre has been in Ukraine over the last 48 hours to reach an agreement with the player and his club Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
Latest reports claim a deal has been agreed and Konoplyanka is currently on his way to Liverpool for a medical. However, some time ago, Rodgers stated that there has been no significant developments in the situation, though Liverpool are still hoping they complete the deal before 11pm BST.
"There is no update yet. There is obviously an interest in the player, but there is no update. We'll see how it evolves. It is obviously a little complicated, but the staff that are over there have done brilliant work in terms of giving us every chance to get a player," Rodgers pointed out.
"So we will just have to see how that develops over the course of the day. It has all happened very quickly. Obviously the timeline on everything makes it tight," the Reds manager added.
Konoplyanka is basically an inverted winger, who operates on the left flank for the Ukraine national team. However, he possesses tremendous technical knowledge and playmaking abilities and can be deployed as a no.10 as well.
Meanwhile, it is understood that Liverpool have failed with a loan approach for Manchester City defender Micah Richards on deadline day.
Rodgers has been keen to improve his defence in this window, especially with wing-back Glen Johnson sidelined out for the near future. Richards, who can operate at either right-back or centre defence, could have been an ideal signing under the circumstances but, according to the Daily Mail, City have turned down the Red's loan move for the England international.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date