Liverpool Transfer News Deadline Day: Rodgers Waits on Konoplyanka as Manchester City Turn Down Reds' Loan Approach for Defender
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 1, 2014 3:48 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers has revealed Liverpool are anxiously waiting to see if they can wrap up a deal for Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka by the time the transfer window closes tonight.
The Reds have been heavily linked with a £16m move for the 24-year-old for the last few days, and the club's managing director Ian Ayre has been in Ukraine over the last 48 hours to reach an agreement with the player and his club Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
Latest reports claim a deal has been agreed and Konoplyanka is currently on his way to Liverpool for a medical. However, some time ago, Rodgers stated that there has been no significant developments in the situation, though Liverpool are still hoping they complete the deal before 11pm BST.
"There is no update yet. There is obviously an interest in the player, but there is no update. We'll see how it evolves. It is obviously a little complicated, but the staff that are over there have done brilliant work in terms of giving us every chance to get a player," Rodgers pointed out.
"So we will just have to see how that develops over the course of the day. It has all happened very quickly. Obviously the timeline on everything makes it tight," the Reds manager added.
Konoplyanka is basically an inverted winger, who operates on the left flank for the Ukraine national team. However, he possesses tremendous technical knowledge and playmaking abilities and can be deployed as a no.10 as well.
Meanwhile, it is understood that Liverpool have failed with a loan approach for Manchester City defender Micah Richards on deadline day.
Rodgers has been keen to improve his defence in this window, especially with wing-back Glen Johnson sidelined out for the near future. Richards, who can operate at either right-back or centre defence, could have been an ideal signing under the circumstances but, according to the Daily Mail, City have turned down the Red's loan move for the England international.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report