Liverpool Transfer News Deadline Day: Rodgers Waits on Konoplyanka as Manchester City Turn Down Reds' Loan Approach for Defender
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 1, 2014 3:48 AM EST
Brendan Rodgers has revealed Liverpool are anxiously waiting to see if they can wrap up a deal for Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka by the time the transfer window closes tonight.
The Reds have been heavily linked with a £16m move for the 24-year-old for the last few days, and the club's managing director Ian Ayre has been in Ukraine over the last 48 hours to reach an agreement with the player and his club Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.
Latest reports claim a deal has been agreed and Konoplyanka is currently on his way to Liverpool for a medical. However, some time ago, Rodgers stated that there has been no significant developments in the situation, though Liverpool are still hoping they complete the deal before 11pm BST.
"There is no update yet. There is obviously an interest in the player, but there is no update. We'll see how it evolves. It is obviously a little complicated, but the staff that are over there have done brilliant work in terms of giving us every chance to get a player," Rodgers pointed out.
"So we will just have to see how that develops over the course of the day. It has all happened very quickly. Obviously the timeline on everything makes it tight," the Reds manager added.
Konoplyanka is basically an inverted winger, who operates on the left flank for the Ukraine national team. However, he possesses tremendous technical knowledge and playmaking abilities and can be deployed as a no.10 as well.
Meanwhile, it is understood that Liverpool have failed with a loan approach for Manchester City defender Micah Richards on deadline day.
Rodgers has been keen to improve his defence in this window, especially with wing-back Glen Johnson sidelined out for the near future. Richards, who can operate at either right-back or centre defence, could have been an ideal signing under the circumstances but, according to the Daily Mail, City have turned down the Red's loan move for the England international.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones