Hero Motocorp Unveils Concept Diesel Bike RNT and Four New Two-Wheeler Models; Features and Availability Details
By greeshma m | February 1, 2014 2:21 AM EST
Hero MotoCorp, the world's largest two-wheeler maker by volume, on Wednesday showed off a new diesel-electric hybrid scooter concept, dubbed 'RNT', along with four other new models, including two motorcycles and two scooters.
A worker cleans a Hero Splendor motorcycle at a Hero MotoCorp showroom in Jammu October 23, 2012.
The company said that all new models, except RNT, will make its way to the showrooms by June 2014.
Speaking of hybrid scooter RNT, it draws its power from a four-stroke, 150cc, liquid-cooled, diesel engine which can pump in 13.5bhp at 4000rpm and 3.56kgm of torque at 1600rpm. Though the company is sure that its upcoming hybrid bike will have the potential to change the country's two-wheeler market, they did not reveal the time frame for the launch of the scooter.
Other notable features of the RNT include wide, flat-loading surfaces, multi-use folding side racks, spacious footboards, removable secondary LED headlight and a large, comfortable seat. It comes with an electric drive at front wheel for off-road conditions.
"Barring RNT, which is a concept, all four models, including the hybrid scooter, would be launched during the next financial year," said Pawan Munjal, managing director and chief executive officer, Hero Motocorp as quoted by Business Standard.
One of the models is the CBZ Xtreme-based morotcyle Hero Xtreme. The Hero Xterme will make its market debut in April with the same four-stroke, 149.2cc, single-cylinder and air-cooled engine used in CBZ Xtreme. The engine can churn out a power of 15.2bhp at 8500rpm and a torque of 1.30kgm at 6500rpm. It is mated to a five-speed gearbox and will be offered in black, red, silver, black-red and orange colour variants.
Next in the list is Hero's indigenously developed concept hybrid scooter LEAP, which was first shown in 2012. "Leap is going to be the first electric-serial-hybrid scooter from India, with an exceptional range of around 340 km on one single charge and a tank full," Munjal said. Leap is likely to enter the India market towards the end of 2014.
Hero Dash is also set to make its India debut around the same time. Dash draws its power from a new four-stroke, 111cc, forced air-cooled, single-cylinder engine, which can generate 8.45bhp of power at 7500rpm and 0.95kgm of torque at 5750rpm.
This will be followed by the launch of Hero HX250R sports bike, based on the company's lightning bolt design philosophy.
"We plan to launch 150cc Xtreme Sports bike in the first quarter, 110cc scooter Dash in the second quarter and Leap and 250cc sports bike in the second half of the next financial year," Munjal added.
All models unveiled will also join the company's line-up at the upcoming Auto Expo 2014, which is scheduled for next week.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Who's The Boss: Tech World's Top 10 CEO's Revealed
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation